1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

THE CHEF HAS NO COOKS!

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by marc4pt0, Nov 10, 2015.

1. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

So I posted this in another forum but felt like it has a place here as well.

I know a lot of chef's who have been complaining the past couple years about how hard it is to find AND keep good cooks. I'm one of them. But I saw this coming a mile away, and started talking about this day several years ago. Does this make me cool or wise? Nope. As a restaurateur it's one of many responsibilities to keep an eye on trends. All trends. And even though I knew this would get bad, and it will get worse, there's nothing I could have done to avoid being affected.

I used to work with high school kids in a program called Pro Start. As a mentor chef I considered it one of my duties to pitch the importance of what it REALLY takes to make it in this business. Some kids even picked up shifts at my restaurant. Most however did not. I'd say that one out of every group of 5 kids actually Got it. And I'd say less than that are still cooking somewhere.

Are our fellow members/chef's seeing this overseas as well? I think our friend Mert has mentioned this to me before...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ent-noticed-but-chefs-are-freaking-out-about/

2. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I will write about this soon , it will be a long rant possibly a

3. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Been feeling it at a since two states and three businesses.

Trying not to think about. Simplifying the menu at each rewrite to hopefully prep less and run with less people. But I also have to pay crazy wages.

I can get away with it at a casual dining place. Couldn't at a fine dining.