1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

The camera/photography thread

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by JBroida, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Great shots everyone!
    I haven't been out with the camera for ages, but I have a couple from a recent holiday to Morocco.

First go at some basic astro stuff!
    Stars are not pin sharp, but pretty pleased for a first go. Settings were around 25s exposure, iso 1250 and lens wide open on f2.8

Sky above our hotel near the desert, only the hotel had a little light to it, the mountains and surrounding area were black!
    stars3edit.jpg

stars2edit.jpg

starsedit.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. Then we had a night staying in an authentic Berber camp on the edge of the Sahara.
    Tried to get a shot of the mrs against the stars at the top of a dune! Pitch black, so 20s exposure, iso 2500, had to stand still for 20 seconds, so not bad! all the shots were on a tripod due to the long exposure.

stars6edit.jpg

Then tried to get us both in a shot, same settings but with a remote shutter relsease this time with a 3 second delay

stars7edit.jpg

Considering it was pitch black and I had never tried this before, I was pretty pleased with the results!

3. Couple more.
    Again, everything was pitch black, so I was surprised to see what the camera picked up.

The camera picked up some light from a town quite a distance away, barely saw anything with my eyes!

starstown.jpg

stars11edit.jpg

And my first attempt at the Milky Way, again not pin sharp, but a good start and good practice

stars9edit.jpg

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Looks great Warren. I'm just starting at astrophotography. amazed you could stay still enough for that long. nice work.

5. Just noticed your pics in the other thread, Mike, nice!
    I had a little trouble getting the manual focus bang on infinity, guess that's where the pin sharp stars were lost.

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Hard to say Warren. they look pretty sharp to me and only the last one maybe a little off. my observation is that the rule of 500 is a bit optimistic, so if you were pushing the time to the upper limit, motion is apparent. did you say what your focal length was? to me it seems that tracking is starting to show in that the pin points are elongating in all the same direction, but ever so slightly.

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks Jeffery

8. Thanks for the info, Mike! I didn't really plan on doing the star shots, so didn't research enough.
    I was shooting at 24mm, so the 25s exposure would explain the trails in first batch of pics,using the 500 rule. I think I fixed without meaning to by dropping to 20s exposure and upping the iso in the later shots.

I'm planning on trying some astro shots, need to drive a fair distance as I'm in London and the light pollution is terrible! not to mention the cloudy skies we usually get here:D

9. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Hello there.

These are few from my holiday in Poland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Wow! I don't want to suggest you switch from knife making to becoming a photographer, but you surely shoot great pics!

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

excellent work Greg. Great eye

12. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

13. JBroida

JBroida Founding Member

14. JBroida

JBroida Founding Member

15. Jon and Greg,

Phenomenal! I'm speechless. Thankfully pictures speak louder, and they have.

Thanks!

J :)

16. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Thanks for the pic Jon!

17. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

18. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Outstanding work Jon!

19. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member