1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Sujihiki grind?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by JaredLou, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Going to make a 270mm sujihiki for a friend and have 3 options for the grind, the normal flat, 36" diameter, or 72" diameter platen I machined.

Was thinking of doing something different and using the 36" or 72" platens.

Opinions welcomed.

[​IMG]

2. butch

butch Founding Member

my weddig cake knife/slicer was ground on a 48 inch platten most of my other slicers are flat ground and lightly convexed

3. No hesitation , Flat and lightly convex upper the edge.

4. Flat

5. Is the suji just used for protein?...If it will be multi purpose wouldn't do flat.

6. Btw...Are you backing those platens with Aluminum???

7. Aluminum is used to press the glued graphite canvas to the platen.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I meant as a Heat sink...to draw the heat off the platen .

9. No need, the graphite reduces the friction between the belt and platen.

Ran the grinder full speed for 1hr and the platen didn't get over 85 degrees.

10. What adhesive do you use to glue graphite fabric to the platen?

11. Elmer's stix-all all purpose cement gel. Flexible, water resistant, extreme heat and extreme cold resistant. So far works great, also use it to glue pyro ceramic glass to the flat platen.

12. I just use 3m spray adhesive lol. The stuff you would use on a quilt.

13. First time ever using the canvas, I was told to use contact cement. Haven't tried anything else yet, would like to try 3m spray and double sided tape.

14. Was that while you were grinding a blade or not?

15. Mareko...the graphite canvas is no joke brother, lol. It will generate heat into the blade still (of course)...but the platen doesn't heat up at all. I use it in conjunction with ice water (through my platen chiller)...and honestly, the water is just redundant.

16. Oh, also...I just use thermal foam and cheap spray adhesive to mount mine. They haven't budged...either on my flat platen or my radius platens.

17. I love the graphite canvases. I use one in my grinding as well, 85° just sounded a bit cool, but I suppose I don't ever really make it a habit of checking the temp after grinding. I use them as a padded backing to my finer grit belts, not necessarily for the reduction of friction and heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. That's a great use for them. I actually sanded mine down almost to the backing to take out the cushion effect lol. But I don't use any standard belts higher than 120 on steel.

19. Wasn't grinding, just running at full rpm to see if the platen would get hot from friction with the belt.

20. Structured abrasives, I'd guess then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk