1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Stone bases

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Jim, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I have a few stones that are showing their senior citizen status and want to mount them up. I hate the thought of wood, wet then dry then wet again. While far from traditional I do have some 3/8 thick plexi glass?

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

My preference would be for granite or marble, or even Corian, but plexiglas should work fine. Just make sure whatever waterproof adhesive you choose is okay for use with plexiglas. Some adhesives have ingredients that act as a solvent on plastics and you'll have a mess on your hands.

3. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

What about Micarta or G10 handle material to use as a base? That stuff is pretty much impervious to water, stiff and fairly easy to find. Micarta is much easier to cut with saws and stuff, G10 kills bandsaw blades quickly. I have a few J Nats that I will be sealing and them mounting soon. One has a lip on each end I am a bit nervous about and many are not perfectly square and don't work as well in the stone holders.

4. pkjames

pkjames Founding Member

I still prefer wood, lol.
    You can always seal it with shellac or similar things, looks good :)
    [​IMG]

5. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

GlassStones by Jim.

6. Jim

Most of my stones are soakers so wood is just not going to do it. Thanks Rick and Taz.

7. daveb

daveb Founding Member

I'm kicking around same thing - base material for soakers. Any reason cut to fit poly or epicurean cutting boards would not work?

8. jer

jer Founding Member

I have some soakers mounted on dibond, which is polyethylene sandwiched between sheets of aluminum. Been perma soaked for about 2 months without any problem. The dibond is both rigid and lightweight. I considered marble as Rick suggests but decided it would be more difficult to cut to size and add unnecessary weight to the container which holds 7 stones and would make moving it from where it is stored cumbersome.

9. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Would durock/cement board work? It's not pretty, but it's designed to deal with wet/dry conditions and to bond well to tile, so it should be good to slap a stone on top.

10. HHH Knives

HHH Knives Founding Member

G-10 or Corian. Both are as water friendly as anything I can think of. Stable. not gona box or flex if you use a thicker pieces . somthing 3/4 or thicker would be ideal. Yet surface prep B4 glue up is also very importiant! Have fun

11. Jim

Well I went ahead with the Plexi I had on hand and have the 500 glued up, I am going to test it out before doing the rest of them.

12. Jim

So far so good- I soaked and dried it a couple times without any incident.

13. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

14. Jim

15. Jim

I have done 8 wet / dry cycles and everything seems fine- on to the rest of the stones.