1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Steering and balancing friction

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by Benuser, Mar 29, 2014.

1. A few times I've seen asymmetric double-bevelled blades coming OOTB with huge steering. An example: a highly asymmetric edge, much off-centered to the left, with an almost imperceptible left bevel, steering clockwise. I tried to balance the friction on both sides to have it cut straight. To do so, increase the friction on the left side by creating a much larger bevel at a higher angle, and so recenter the edge a bit. Decrease the friction on the right side by thinning behind the edge as much as necessary. Once the steering is gone, make sure to equally thin behind the edge on both sides.
    Any thoughts?

2. I should add one more factor, as if it wasn't yet complicated enough: stiction. Don't overly thin the convex side over too broad a surface by which you would flatten it and make it loose it's convexity. Proceed by small steps.