1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Steak knife evolution - Comments and critiques welcome

Discussion in 'Brock Cutlery' started by Mark Brock, Jan 19, 2017.

1. I am working up a set of steak knives, both for sale and for the Mrs and wanted to get comments and critique if anyone has a mind to chime in. This is the first set I have made, so this is a rough prototype in the early stages.

My frame of mind in this is to have a robust knife with good clearance, thicker than I might normally go at the tip / spine to stand up to wear and tear well in the hands of whomever might come to dinner.

The evolution, phase I

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phase II

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Very handsome blades Mark.
    Not sure about the need for a sharp point or heel. Especially for civilian use.
    I could see both chipped by careless usual use.

3. That is interesting Jim. My first design was a well rounded tip. Hadn't thought about the heel. I will think on this advice. Many thanks!

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

5. That is high praise for as rough as it is. ;)

6. I cleaned it up a bit, but still some work to do. I rounded it off too a little.

[​IMG]

7. butch

butch Founding Member

one thing that was noted on the latesst build id th blades edge lays o the table. a rightful observance buyer was worried about the edge on a nice table cloth but also meat goo. i a in the prosses of ajusting my grind so that the edge floats the table

8. Thanks very much Butch, that is great input. The other input I have had is that the handle might be a little thick based on average feedback.
    Thinking it through these two items might be mutually exclusive, keeping the blade off the table with a thin handle...