1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

State of the (various) Knife Forums These Days?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by mr drinky, Sep 16, 2014.

1. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

I usually read both forums but mostly post on KKF. The main reason is the asumption that most people here will also read KKF and I might bore people here with posting on both sites. Since I still have people over there checking up on handles occasionally, I want to keep active at KKF, at least for some more time.

That said, I have laid low a bit in general, planning to post more once I caught up with work and have more things to show. I may have to sell off a few knives in the very near future and will at least make sure they get posted here and there.

As for the athmosphere, maybe I did not catch everything because I do not read everything on KKF anymore, but I have seen both as friendly and as places I'd like to hang around, although many of the other old timers have, unfortunately, faded away on KKF. But that's understandable, I also reached the conclusion that I do not need every knife that gets discussed, and my budget has shrunk too much to even consider the ones (from the custom makers) that I really would like to have...

Stefan

2. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

I haven't been around for a while myself. I've had some health issues that have kept me out of the shop. ..
    But...
    I met Jim through the other kitchen forum and got to know him through the shaving site as well.
    Jim is a class act-100%. He took me under his wing and tried his best to school me about highend kitchen knives at a Gather. At the same Gather, Butch selflessly gave me some insights as did Delbert.
    These 3 men laid down a solid foundation for me as far as what to do and what a customer expects.

This forum will grow. And it will grow like a carefully tended and crafted Bonsai tree..
    With care, patience and time.
    As long as we maintain the class that Jim has shown and come to expect from his members and friends, this forum will always be a great place.
    I don't worry about the other kitchen places..

3. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

When I joined the other KKF there were about 800 members. Now there are about 4800. I have a theory that there is a fixed percentage of ninnies and twits in any given population, and as your population grows so do the number of folks who want to pound their chests and tell everyone else what they're doing wrong. I still check to see what's for sale and if there are any interesting threads, but I don't spend much time there any more and almost never post.

Enjoying this forum where people are happy for you when you get a new knife and more than happy to give you a good natured poke when the opportunity arises.

4. Dream Burls

Dream Burls Founding Member

When I first started to get into kitchen knives the only forum I read was KKF1. I looked into and joined a couple of other knife forums, but that was mostly to promote my business. I still went to KKF1 to read about what was going on, get educated and have a laugh or two. When KKF2 came along it was a no brainer for me to become a member, not to mention that Jim was very welcoming to boot. Now I find I log in to KKF2 first. Why? Because it is smaller and I know most of you and it feels more like a community to me. Sure it will take time to grow and become more prolific, but that's okay with me. It quality not quantity every time. Butch, Cris and some others have been great contributors, but I do wish some more knife makers would be more active here. Seems those threads always get a lot of attention.

Patience, this forum hasn't been around to long and it's growing every day. If you build it they will come.

5. butch

butch Founding Member

i too have this as one of my first stops in the mornign with my coffe and last stops with a beer late at night as a winding down. i will say this tho one kills piles of hours in a day coverig even 10 forums but that is biz. i read alot but post little sept for the core 5 forums i hang out in.

6. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

I think that different knife forums are focused on money too much. We, members, vendors, knife makers, handle makers, cooks, etc. we are only the people who loves knives and knives related things and this should be our main goal on whatever forums you are logged in. It looks little bit different at the moment. You must be carefull about what you are saying or posting. I unerstand that there are some people who pay to post whatever they do but come on. It shouldn't be so strict or if it is so strict then it should be obey all the times.

Quick story:
    I joined KKforums some time ago and I was very happy member. I love knives and I love to read about them. I love to wake up at the morning and read new posts in WIP threads. I think that WIP are the best because you can see what people are doing and you can learn something new and this is most important thing, right?
    One day I decided to make my very first handle and saya. I used big spalted beech block to make handles and matched sayas. I must say that as for something done in kitchen and my toilet without any special tools it turned out not bad. I decided to post it on old KKF. I didn't have to wait long till my pictures were blocked and my account as well. I sent an email to moderator and I explained everything. They unblocked my account but I had to be careful about what I am doing.

Some time later somebody created new thread: ''Show me your DIY saya'' and people were posting their sayas. Trust me it was crap. Cartoon sayas which looks like bananas, etc. I posted my first ever saya made for my yanagiba. I took some nice pictures on black background. Somebody says that it is ''pro'' and people liked it. Guess what?? My pictures has been deleted but people were still posting their DIY sayas. You can only imagine how angry I was because of that. But thing got worse later when somebody post really nice looking saya and moderator actually like it and admire it. Mike ''Bieniek'' said to this guy that it is really cool and pro looking saya. Guy who post it said that he is not a pro and Mike told him that Bathonuk (Me) is not a pro either. Then moderator (the same who liked his saya and same who deleted my pictures) decided to close this thread.

I was really pissed of that for some people rules are ok and for some not.
    I thought that making sayas, handles and sharpening is really cool and I need more practice so I created my website and blog. I even asked my friend to create me a logo. It was my stupid idea to put that logo as my avatar and I know I shouldn't do it.

I HAVE NEVER EVER OFFER MY SERVICES TO ANYONE, I HAVE NEVER EVER TOLD ANYBODY ON THE FORUMS ABOUT MY WEBSITE AND I HAVE NEVER EVER SENT SOMEBODY AND EMAIL FROM MY ACCOUNT REGARDING KNIVES, HANDLES ETC.

I repsect people who are paying subscriptions and I do not feel that I am good enough so I never pay for subsciption. Also it cost a lot of money and I couldn't afford it.
    I remember that I mirror polished Hattori sujihiki for someone not related to forums and I post WIP there. Guess what?
    I woke up at the morning, turned on my computer and when I tried to log in to KKF I found message on middle of my screen : ''You layed about your knife business..{name of it}. bla bla bla, you will never come back to kkf, bla bla bla''.

I was so angry at the beginning. I knew that it was my fault because I used my logo as my avatar but come on. I even couldn't explain that. So I was still visiting KKF and I watched how other people are posting DIY stuff, WIP, handles and sayas without subsciption. Is it ok?

Now I am here and trust me guys I am happy. Maybe it's quiet but this forum is new. Most important people from other forums are here. Some banned guys as well like a friend of mine Bieniek. He should't be banned from other KKF. His skill regarding fixing, sharpening, polishing, food etc is remarkable and people should learn from him. Of course his attitude is bit different than others but you must used to it. And this is why they banned him. For his attitude. Bad. But now we have him here as well as some other guys that I know personally.

I am happy that I am here. We should stick together. Please guys, post more WIP, handles and stuff. Post even basic info because even if you think that you have all knowledge quite often people forget about basics. I wish you all good weekend.
    Greg

7. I had a similar experience, lol...only mine was within the first 20 minutes of actually joining. The first thing I did was paid $30 to donate to the forum...because I appreciated the information shared there so much. I'd never even BEEN a member of a forum that required you to pay to post your work, so the last thing I expected was to be banned for even mentioning I was a knifemaker. In their defense, there is a 'warning' at the top of the page stating not to talk about making knives if you in fact make them...but it looks like an advertisement so I paid it no mind (I didn't even notice or read it until later). Anyhow, I wrote a short 'hello' introduction...mentioning that I had no input as far as food went, but that I hoped I'd be able to contribute as far as making them went. I also thanked the forum as a whole for all of the information given freely. It was a total and complete shock to come back and check on my post to find my account locked!! It also took over a month of initiating contact everywhere I could to get the $30 credited back.

In the end Myron vouched for me, and I was allowed back on. I paid for a hobbyist tag to make sure I was covered under the rules...but in the end I was threatened with banning again if I posted out of line 'one more time', I honestly don't know what I can, and can't post...even now. So I just don't.

Honestly, I think it's a great site, and if it weren't for this place, I'd miss it and the people on it a lot. When I left last year (after being told I would be banned), it left a bad enough taste in my mouth that I stopped making knives completely for awhile. But please don't take this as a rant against their policies there. They are what they are, and it's the owner's prerogative to maintain whatever policies he pleases. I am simply too dim to understand them fully (much less abide by them apparently), and so...rather than force an issue...I just don't post.

8. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

whoa man some of those stories are rough... You cant micro manage that many people, a forum is like a river, you can guide it a bit but your best to let it take its own course to have it flourish. Jim wants that here, as long as nothing is damming up the joint or causing to many waves i doubt you will see much of any moderation. plus all yall don't give any reason to anyway, having a great core membership makes life simple and everyone here has been nothing but helpful amd pleasant with new and old members alike

9. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Oivind, Bieniek and AJ. The terrible trio.

10. AJ has one of my gyuto lol. I've found him to be nothing but polite, respectful, and honest.

Bieniek is going to be doing a review of one of my gyuto here soon. I don't know him well, but so far I've seen nothing but the same from him also.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  11. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

I love those Norwegian boys. Oivind does have the keen ability to put his entire butt into his mouth at times though, but I am never one to fuss too much about that. He is one of the people I would most like to meet on the forums. And chances are, after I wake up the morning after getting my drink on, I won't remember Oivind's butt anyhow :)

Btw, when I really take to the bottle, my walk of shame is turning on the knife forums in the morning and seeing what I have posted between 2-4 am. I suspect that 30% of my knives were purchased or commissioned at this time -- yes, I said commissioned. I have at least 2-3 alcohol-impaired customs.

But no worries, I am a lot better these days. I am drinking less, exercising more, dropped 15 pounds, and my mood is amazing. But I will say that right now I am tapping away at an airport bar in Montreal. The bartenders have all gone, and I am the lone inhabitant of the establishment. They gave me two drinks before they left and the remote for the TV. I've seen the highlights of the Clemson FSU game too many times...

12. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

I posted a picture of a homemade sink bridge at KKF and was threatened with being banned because their was the possibility that I might truly be a craftsman and not paying for the tag. Intirely to much censorship over there for me, I didn't stay long at all. I was glad when Myron directed me here. So laid back and enjoyable, able to read and post without the fear of being threatened with being banned.

13. Yikes. Some of your stories KKForums starts to make me wonder if one of the Ks stands for "Kafka"? ;) I better lawyer up before getting a membership, to get the terms & conditions explained to me...

I've been into kitchen knives for about 18 months now. For some reason, becoming a member of KKForums never appealed to me. There was something about me be a newbie and the atmosphere over there that didn't match for me. I don't know, but that forum seems a bit overwhelming. I read it on a regular basis though.

I joined this forum because it was new and fresh and everyone seemed so friendly. :) However, there aren't many posts lately. I guess many of the core members here are experienced knife users, and this forum sort of work as a complement to the other ones. I see new members are coming in, but I don't see many newbie posts here, asking questions or needing advice. But many questions have been asked before and if you dig in the archives of KKForums you can find a lot.

I recently joined the CKTG forum because I like the atmosphere there (mostly). Event though it is strongly associated with a vendor, I have no problems sifting out useful info posted there that is not vendor biased.

However, most of my posts goes on at a Swedish forum , http://knivforum.proboards.com/, started about a year ago. Small and friendly with no specific rules so far. 41 users. I like it. :D

I guess when a forum grows beyond a certain point, it will attract enough idiots for it to become necessary to moderate and set up rules. Moderation is hard, especially if you have several moderators. If it is not done in an open and fair way, according to rules that everyone understands, that forum has a problem. If the moderators themselves are part of the problem, then you're screwed.

But if you're lucky, you'll have a forum with friendly users and no trolls, fanboys or know-it-all fundamentalists. And as an experienced forum user I want to ask you: have you ever started to write a long post on a forum, only to come to your senses and cancel it? Then congratulations my friend, you have just levelled up! :p

[​IMG]

14. That's how I write my blog! :D

I think KKF has answers to almost every question a newbie knife user might come up with. What to buy? Where to buy? How to sharpen? What's the difference between geometries, profiles, steel types etc/etc/etc. Some new users are a bit lazy to use search function so they keep asking same question again and again, but I believe there's a significant amount of people that learned a lot on KKF, but never registered, because they aren't interested into diving into knives world, they just needed answers to their questions. Even though I've been a rather active user of KKF for a past year, I find myself quite often digging into archives and learning from there (that's how I found a thread about handles making that Cris wrote there a long ago).
    There are rules on KKF which I don't like (or don't even fully understand), but I can tell the same thing about laws in my country (I don't like them, nor do I understand at least a third of them). So far I was able to show my works on KKF and not get any bans for that (so no horror stories from me).

With Fore I like the atmosphere and I like more modern software that powers this forum. To read and show my works on KKF comfortably I had to significantly change site's CSS and make a custom browser extension for uploading pictures on Flickr. With Fora I made just a few minor CSS tweaks to make it comfortable.

15. Please understand, the main issues I've seen at KKF are from craftsmen of whatever level...and the fact that Anton has had no issue, while others have...partially explains the problem. Ambiguous rules (no matter how plainly stated in text) that are only enforced erratically make it difficult to function when those rules can be made apply directly to you. As a standard member there with nothing to sell, I'm sure you'd be fine. I think the reasons for these weird vendor policies are because (I was told) the forum was born out of issues at another forum, where every post was colored by bias and self promotion on the part of craftsmen and vendors. I don't know the truth of this as I wasn't a member of the other site, or there to witness the beginning of KKF...but it makes sense.

As an example...I made a post here today mocking a funny video promoting Shun knives. The title was 'I guess I should just stop...', and the first line of the post was '...making knives now!'. The purpose of that post was in no way to promote myself, or to invite comparison of my knives to Shun knives, or in any other way do anything but make people laugh at a funny video.

If I'd made that post on KKF the day after I received the PM regarding my activities on the forum, I'd have been banned. Hell, for all I know...if I made it now I'd be banned. I was SHARPLY reprimanded for posting a picture of JUST the blade section on one of my knives with a gorgeous blue/magenta patina (in the Old Dirty Carbon thread), even though I carefully excluded my maker's mark or any other defining characteristics of the knife in order to safely (or so I thought) keep the post within the rules. That was my major problem there...I couldn't contribute as a non-chef in ANY way, without it somehow coming back to the fact that I made knives...because THAT'S THE ONLY REASON I WAS THERE, lol. That is my tie to the culinary world. It's like making a forum about law enforcement, and allowing lawyers, judges, civilians, and policemen to join, but not letting the policemen in any way talk about law enforcement. I mean, what's the point in being a policeman on the forum?

Anyhow, my main point (again) was that its mostly just craftsmen having issues over there. As you've mentioned...its a great site in many ways...with a ton to offer people, regardless of their level of experience.

16. butch

butch Founding Member

for those that have been slighted in one way or the other by the other forum let us not air out dirty laundry (we are better then that ) many forums have many ways and some people fit an others do not.... such is life. no one forum will ever be the only one for true knife nuts (and if you think you found "your one" then al you have done is put blinders on )

17. I agree butch. I personally was more expressing my own experience (and through that explaining my previous commentary), along with trying to clarify that its still a great forum to be on, whether its difficult for me as a craftsman to function there or not.

Hopefully I'm being clear enough…I know its very easy to misspeak in text, and just as easy to misconstrue.

:)

18. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Well yeah.
    The enfant terrible extraordinaire :BF [not at all that if you really read what I write carefully, and you are willing to think on your own for a second] is here.

I dont want to make any noise. If my comment strike you as bitter, forget it. I got over it swiftly and easily. The chapter is closed but that doesnt mean I have had an amnesia.

Its not a dirty laundry, its a dirty game.
    I was a member with opinion and big mouth. I think thats how the members there thought of me. Might be true, "me dont care. All I care Bout is the people..."
    But.
    It all started with my opinion about one vendors blade. I tested it, and it was really bad. The tip, you could bend it to like 90 degrees angle, steel felt rubbery and grind was flat and boring, so much so that the carrot was a real challenge.
    World renown bloke made it, so to speak. Of course there was quick reply and my post was deleted. Even though it never broke any rule.

Now, a bit later there was a conversation about what wrong with the forums, and I clearly written what I thought was wrong. Many vendors with more rights than regular members. Plainly. How come we make the community and they eat the fruit? OK, they pay more, they sometimes post [or not] something useful, but mostly its advertising.
    But isnt that what is community about, that we are all equal, just some of us make more money, some cook better, some are better hunters, some mathematicians and so on.
    So every member should be equal. And that is why I dont understand the stress. I cannot get it: Why do you use a forum to do it your source of income, and if so, how can one keep his objectivness then?

Solution? I remember saying it in such manner: "phuck vendors out". I could add today: every member pays any given amount just so the sum of all the donations equal the the sum of the money the vendors are paying in, or enough to run the place. We, the people, are the place. The owner is having nothing without members and community.
    I know it smells socialism but aren't we all equal? In the interweb at least...

To finish my vendor story, later there was a thread about the best performing knives [or something] and I posted again my opinion about some knives not really performing as good as they look or dont live up to how much as they actually cost. Then the hell broke loose on me.
    Did Mr New Owner really thought I would bend over this time around? Beg to stay? I contributed enough with 15 or so pages of food pictures. I took the time to tell the story and make pics.
    And so I said just that. Reply was: "You attitude is terrible!" And: "Eat **** and die!"

:jump

I really hope this place doesnt turn to that course and will stay the way it is.
    Growing but feeling comfy.
    Sometimes I might need some tempering but that is just life ;)

19. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Sorry to hear about all the issues on the other forum. Not involved in the moderator level, I had no idea what was going on. I was just occasionally wondering why some people disappeared or did not post anymore, thinking they moved on to new interests. But it looks like quite a few of them have been banned. I have been on there from the beginning but do admit that I also have my problems understanding the rules - and the way they seem to get implemented and/or enforced. I would expect to get at least a friendly mail saying "Listen, please read the rules again, you have violated XXX. That can happen, but please be more careful..." before I get reprimanded and hit with bans. That said, a lot of good things have happened on that forum also, and I owe several members there a lot for their support whe I was going through tougher times. Others have received moral and/or financial support from this community, and for many of the 'oldtimers' the community spirit is important and still alive. Maybe that becomes more difficult to see when overall traffic increases, including just a larger number of people who are cranky in general or having a bad day...

Anyway, overall I value the community here and there. Not hanging out in many other forums, but from what I have seen, we are still very supportive of each other and maintain a friendly athmosphere. I was a member of the German knife forum for a while, and the mods over there displayed the worst kind of stereotypical German behavior, much friendlier here.

Stefan

20. Still not enough drama for me. Let me add some