1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Malt Recommendation Please

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Dream Burls, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Dream Burls

Dream Burls Founding Member

I'm thinking of dipping my toe (and nose and tongue) into the world of single malts. As I scour the internet I get more and more confused. As a beginner I'd like something that's mild on the tongue and smooth on the throat. I'm partial to vanilla, chocolate and caramel (i.e. sweet) and would be using it as an after dinner or with a cigar. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Oh yeah, I'd like to keep it under $100 a bottle. Thanks.

2. My favorite is Glenlivet. Pretty much any Glenlivet......
    ..........I had a roommate who loved nothing but Glenfiddich, which tastes like old alcohol-soaked cardboard to me. Yuck.
    I think it's a very personal thing. I would hate to spend a decent amount of coin on something that was nasty to me.

3. I agree with Chris - it's an extremely personal thing because there is such diversity. The good news is a lot of shops and bars have tastings, so you don't need to commit to buying a bottle starting off. The even better news is you're close to NYC....check out this link:

http://nycwhisky.com/

4. Dream Burls

Great link, thank you so much. I know it's a personal thing, but I alway like to get some direction from people with experience.

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I do not dabble in the single malts any longer, but when I did I had after starting with GlenLivet and a few others found that I was partial to Laphroaig and Glenmorangie. Still might occasionally try a sip. I found Glenfidich better the Glenlivet, As KNerd says, it is a personal thing.

6. Dream Burls

Just order some samplers from Masters of Malt.

Ardbeg Uigeadail
    Auchentoshan Three Wood
    Balvenie DoubleWood 17 Year Old
    Balvenie Single Barrel 15 Year Old
    Dalmore Cigar Malt
    Highland Park 18 Year Old

It may take a while, but I'll let you know where I land, or fall:)

7. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Interesting mix. Let us know what you like. FWIW, I always thought the Highland Park 18 to be a beautiful malt that appeals to beginners as well as aficionados. Although I love Arbegs, I never had this one, probably my next malt acquisition.

Stefan