1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Single beveled edged knives

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by kentos, Feb 17, 2014.

1. kentos

kentos Founding Member

I have a couple of knives that are only beveled on the left side, and it mildly irritates my left handed mother when she slices harder root vegetables and whatnot. Is there any benefit to it that I am unaware of before I grind a bevel into the right side?

2. Marko Tsourkan

Marko Tsourkan Founding Member

Do you have pictures of your knives?

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Kent I think we need to know if they are true single bevel knives or just have a left side bias?

4. kentos

kentos Founding Member

It's a Yugo compared to the heavy metal I see from Youse afficionados :). And not maintained very well...

Attached Files:

5. kentos

kentos Founding Member

My other one I steel on both sides, but it's a single side as well

6. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

Right handed knives are beveled on the right side.

7. kentos

kentos Founding Member

You mean like the right handed screwdrivers?

You are right Jay, the bevel is on the right side ;)

8. Marko Tsourkan

Marko Tsourkan Founding Member

It's what called an asymmetric bevel (different from asymmetric grind). Basically, the knife is ground symmetrically to about .30 of an inch, and then on the leading hand's side, one cuts a wider bevel and on the opposite side a narrow one. Sometimes these are called 90/10 bevels, or 75/25.

This type of bevel tends to cut pretty well, but needs to be periodically thinned. That what I would do.

Marko

9. kentos

kentos Founding Member

Ok so when sharpening I would just remove the burr from the narrow side? Or would I just sharpen the narrow side too, just less? I must have been doing it wrong all these years.

10. Maximus

Maximus Founding Member

Sharpen both sides, maintaining the geometry if you like it. If you've been sharpening only one side for "years" the original edge asymmetry has been altered if you've used stones to sharpen. And do what Marko says!

11. gavination

gavination Founding Member

Always do what Marko says! Even if Marko says not to do the thing he didn't not tell you to never do! :lol:

12. hbeernink

hbeernink Founding Member

So here's a question that I've never heard a good answer for- single bevels are beveled on the leading hand side, and strong asymmetrically beveled knives are as well. But asymmetric gyutos and sujis seem to have the flatter side on the leading hand side, with a stronger (shorter) bevel on the off hand side.

Example: heiji suji, with the more pronounced bevel on the left facing side of the blade (sorry for the crappy ipad pic). My theory is that many single bevel techniques cut to the left side of the knife (eg sushi/sashimi slicing, etc), while western techniques cut to the right side.
    image.jpg