1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Show me your sharpening setup

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by BathonUk, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Jim, the wheel is 3'. It has its down sides, but now I've gotten to know it, I wouldn't be without it.

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. From Russia with love. Tormek thanks for idea ()

4. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

5. Smith's 11 1/2" 325 and 750 grit diamond stones, a King 1000/6000 K65 combo, and a hanging leather strop with 1 micron diamond dust on the lower half, and .1 micron diamond dust on the upper half. The Smith's are used for straightening edges, thinning, and repair work; the King 1000, finishing thinning and sharpening; the King 6000, for finishing thinning, sharpening, and a light micro-bevel; and the strop, for edge polishing. Only a few strokes are necessary on each section of the strop. That .1 micron diamond section of the strop leaves an edge that, on the across the fingernail test, is SO smooth. I made a simple sink bridge out of two pieces of apitong, and I use both the diamond stones and King wet, very convenient over the sink. I believe, between the King 6000 micro-bevel and the loose leather strop, I'm producing a convex edge. I like that, because the knife geometry is thin, but the edge has the strength of a higher angle. My knife steels range from old American and English carbon steels, 440C and AUS8, VG10 and SG2, to white #2 and blue super.

6. Love the station