1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Show me your finish

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by bieniek, Mar 10, 2015.

1. If you look closely, you'll see that they aren't flat at all. There is a subtle convex to the kireba that ends about 2/3 up the blade, at which point it cuts back towards the spine. If you look at where the reflection of the blinds ends on the blade it becomes much more apparent. If it were flat, the blinds would be reflected across the entirety of the blade. Because this is a 150mm utility rather than a full sized gyuto, it's just much less pronounced.

I definitely appreciate the compliments my friend...and I am still working to get a knife into your hands! I would love to hear first hand what your thoughts are on the choil. Almost everyone who has used them has expressed initial doubts about it, but once they have one they tell me it ends up either being a non-issue, or works out to being a positive as far as comfort goes. The only negative that has been mentioned was in regards to overall handle length on a line sized knife I sent to a friend to test...which I knew was too long to begin with lol :).

Anyway...I don't want to hijack your thread!! I'm looking forward to many more pictures of you guys polish jobs!

2. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

There must be something wrong with me because I thought bieniek made perfect sense . Pretty cool how you two can get such exceptional finishes with different approaches. Cris, your knives look wicked. You deserve to be very busy.

3. Thank you my friend!!

To bienek...I also meant to ask what you meant by 'forging low'? I think it's a term I'm just not familiar with lol.

Oh also! For me, when I thin my knives...I pop the handle off and do it vertically on the platen. If it needs thinned a LOT, I'll make horizontal passes then finish up vertically. That gives me the base for a good clean kireba without hollows or dips :).

4. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Again, I was not specific enough. Ill try again:

What I meant is NOT that the grind is flat across the visible side of the blade, but that the finish or the surface doesnt have any dips, high/low spots vertically like on some of the, even higher end, japanese knives. Or my knives after thinning, since I dont use whole lot of time to fix the looks on them nowadays.
    I think the most Ive seen on one blade was the older type damascus D2 Yoshikane 270 chefs knife.

What I did notice over the years is, doing thinning by hand on the stones pretty much prevents that alltogether. On average you will end up with flat surface, not grind. Grind too, if you stop too late haha :p
    For example, if you grind a low spot, BUT instead of bringing the metal around to the same level, you would just start polishing from there, which would mean that the low spot would be milder to the eye [no sharp edges] but certainly visible, you feel me?
    And that sometimes can be a pain in the arse, especially when its not a clad.

I mean they tend to be very low at the heel. The height.

You are very welcome.
    Someone before promised me a Wootz cooks knife amazingly thin and hard yet strong enough to cut crust on a freshly baked break without chipping....never happened.
    So relax, take what the life brings and if it eventually happens, Im still here. You dont have to remind me. ;)

5. I totally got it now :).

My standard is 50mm...and I'm currently working on a 55mm tall gyuto. Sometimes they end up around 47mm or so due to working the edge profile...but on average I'd say 48-50mm is normal for a gyuto. I know for a lot of guys that IS short, lol. Where does your preference fall?

I've always wondered what kind of bread you guys speak of when you talk about edges chipping!! I like to think of my knives as thin, both overall and behind the edge...and I'm pretty sure at 63-65HRC the edge is hard...but I regularly use my gyuto to cut fresh french bread without issue...so I'm guessing that's not it lol.

I want some of this bread that destroys knives so I can do more testing!

:D

6. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

We dont talk this funny pumped "tinfoil" things...

We talk 4 mm thick crust that can hurt your gums, and is scaring the shite outta japanese blades. The real stuff, the one that man chews. A real bread I guess ;)
    [​IMG]

7. schanop

schanop Founding Member

The stereo sound made me feel hungry and dizzy at the same time ... feels like I am the knife going through the loaf :Dave

8. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Love it!, gotta whip out the Gude for that badboy.

9. Ohhhh! I need a recipe!! Then I will make a video lol!

:D

10. LOL!! The video is still playing in the background...and it sounds like a carpenter is working with a hand saw on the other side of the room. That's awesome!!

11. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

I reckon Chanop anyway better than to be the loaf, we all know where it ends :tpk :)

Yes, sir
    [​IMG]
    cant help it the bread pic always remind me of the WW2 batleship ... I know Im just mad

Cris recipe is flour water salt and love.

12. Proportions sir! Remember, I just make knives lol.

13. Back on topic!!

20150327_020720.jpg

I posted this just for Jason lol. My 155mm Predator camo utility knife :p.

14. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I would be predator bait for sure. I was looking at that pic thinking "what is going on here?...he welded a rod to a slab of metal?...what the heck is he making?"
    Then read the comment. :Dave