1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Sharpening stones descriptions - discussion

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by BathonUk, Feb 28, 2014.

1. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

2. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

So this is the thread for discussing it, correct?
    Thanks for starting this database, it's very informative for people like me who are still in the early stage of sharpening.

3. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Your welcome mate:D Hopefully other, more experienced, sharpeners will spend 5 minutes to describe other stones.

4. TaJ

TaJ Founding Member Contributor

Very neat idea, i was looking for something like that. Thank you!

Sharpening stones and knife maintenance in general would look good in a sub-forum. Jim, what do you say? :)

5. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Hi guys.

I was just thinking about White Binsui stone. On Japanese Knife Imports website you can find information that this stone is about 1000 grit stone. My white Binsui in not even close to 1000. It need other medium stone like 1000 to be used before. It leaves great edge on any knife. It confuse me a little bit because I know that this stone is last stone used in sword polishing, which can change blade geometry. I just found information on tomonagura.com that an approximate grit range for these stones might be rated as being around 220-400x. Why there is so big difference in grit range for those stones?