1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Sharpening serrated knifes

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by gearchow, Feb 17, 2014.

1. gearchow

gearchow Founding Member

I have a Henckels bread knife like the one here, 2nd down on round cutting board and I need to know the proper way to sharpen it. Serrated knifes are nice, but kind of problematic in that respect.

-jim

2. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

The one in that picture is well over twenty years old and doesn't need sharpening. The reason serrated blades can stay sharp for so long is due in large part to the fact that the bulk of the edge never touches the cutting board.

You can try to sharpen the flat side, or at least make sure that it's flat and true, but the individual serrations may require the use of a small, round honing rod.

There's a good thread on this subject on another famous forum run by dashing and erudite chaps, but I assume the owner of this forum discourages links to sites that duplicate content. :p

3. gearchow

gearchow Founding Member

:lol: :lol:

It just isn't as sharp as could be. The points are definitely rounded. I think I will hunt up a round file in the garage and then easy does the serrations, then flatten the back to take off the burr. I don't have anything like a round hone though.

-jim

4. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

He's heavy handed like that.;)
    I have a similar Henckels with the same problem.

5. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

You're not likely to find the proper size file in the correct abrasive range, and because the file is tapered, you are very likely to ruin the knife. Use a wood dowel that fits the serrations (you may have to use trial and error to find the right size) wrapped in wet/dry sandpaper instead. Start with 80 grit, then move up, finishing with at least 400 grit. Then knock off the burr on the flat side with a high-grit stone.

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

7. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Use a suji. :D Just kidding.

8. kentos

kentos Founding Member

I have a Spyderco sharp maker thing with the triangle honing rods. If you are patient the corners run in and out of the serrations pretty well for a touch up. A really dull knife would likely need the dowel treatment.

9. turtle

turtle Founding Member

I have only used a hone on the reverse (non beveled) side and ONLY to knock off any rolling of the edge so I use an almost flat angle (little to no angle on the blade to hone) and only go away from the edge with the stroke.

Not sure if this is proper or not but it has worked for me in the past.

If you do not use your bread knife for anything other than bread the edge should not need attention. It's when you grab it and cut into some meat and accidentally hit a bone where you get into trouble (don't ask)

10. Jason

Jason Let it Rain, let it rain let it... huh? Founding Member

I would attempt to sharpen a serrated blade as quickly as I would a chainsaw blade.

11. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Chainsaw chains are cake to sharpen. A jig and a file and ... voilĂ !

12. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Edge Pro! :D

13. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

No joke, chainsaw blades are the easiest thing out there... Take a flat file to the rockers when you're done with the round file and jig... reee!!-Reee!!!-REEEEE!!!!!!!!!

I have to sharpen the serrated blades at work. People are careless. I use dowels and emery cloth to touch them up. I have them in my knife roll...

My Tojiro I just take the non beveled edge and knock off the burrs on occasion with edge trailing strokes on a 4k stone.