1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Scorpion Forge...Stainless??

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, Apr 13, 2016.

1. You mean...

20160419_103729.jpg 20160419_103736.jpg 20160419_105359.jpg 20160419_110933.jpg 20160419_155123.jpg

:D

2. Here's a couple quick pictures of the joint between the leather and kydex:

20160419_230200.jpg 20160419_230203.jpg

All in all it worked out easily as nicely as I expected. The one small issue I'm not pleased with has no effect on its performance, and I'll figure out a way to get rid of it eventually. I don't think you'll find a dual layer saya for the prices I'm asking...if you can find them at all lol.

3. I made another quick video to give some more detail on my stainless knives. My camera limits me to 5 minutes of 4k def video...so I was going through things a bit quickly. Also, please ignore the scuff marks, scratches, and finger prints/smears on the blades, lol. I've been using them incredibly hard over the past week, and the two that are sold (with the saya), haven't received their final polish yet for that reason.

:D

4. 240mm XH Gyuto, in progress:

20160424_011217.jpg 20160424_011253.jpg 20160424_011312.jpg 20160424_011329.jpg

This one is waiting for handle wood to arrive from the customer who purchased it, and should be done some time next week.

Quick question. How many of you who are going to the ECG would like to see a number of these stainless knives there? I have five more out of the batch that are spoken for (240 standard, parer, and 3x 220 XH's), which leaves I think five or so I could send over for @WildBoar to bring for you guys to mess with. They would also all be available for purchase.

If there's enough interest I'll make it a priority to get them done in time. If not, I will get back to my custom line after finishing a couple more...and take it from there.

5. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Stainless stuff looks absolutely amazing, Cris, props to you sir! I have been extremely pleased with aeb-l steel, recently, ease of care, edge retention, sharpness. I am sure that this new batch of "functional art" of yours will be equally amazing!!! :like :pop :cool1

6. Thanks man :D. I'm really liking it as well. Clean, easy, sharp, and durable. All good things :).

Here's a couple pictures of today's work, prepping five 220mm XH gyuto for heat treat this week :D.

20160424_154724.jpg 20160424_155819.jpg

I need to get my cryo setup put back together here at the new shop, then they'll be ready to harden!

7. Yes sir. I find that foil isn't very conducive to successful hardening using my methods (please don't let this deter any of you if you're reading in...it works perfectly fine...just not for me). The coating does the job well enough for the end result to meet my admittedly high standards...so I run with it :D.

8. Hi @CrisAnderson27, found something similar with the foil, as it's not the easiest thing to remove from large blades prior to quenching blades in oil.
    I do however like the lack of scale that foil provides, so will endeavour to find a coating in the local market that does the job too. Any recommendations?

9. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

You should get a microphone to record the squealing 220s when you heat treat them.

10. Odd, I thought I replied. I use Turco pre-treat, along with the Turco cleaner that is a mandatory part of the process. It's MUCH more costly than foil...but again, the results work better for me.

Right lol? Like the souls of the damned screaming from the pits of Hades ;).

11. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Cris, I know I'd love to see one/ some. Several attendees have your carbon knives, so I'm guessing they would be happy to see your new stainless steel offerings. Your knives were a huge hit last year.

12. Sounds like good incentive then :). As you know a few should be there with their new owners...but I'd love to have some...unattached...knives to send home with unsuspecting knife nuts :p.

13. 20160428_130437.jpg

;)

14. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Beautiful!

15. Thanks David! I couldn't be happier with the way they're turning out :).

16. Look amazing, and I bet they cut even better than they look =)

17. Thanks man!

They do now, lol. I spent some time and put the edges on them today.

20160429_155804.jpg

Definite cutters. I prepped a bunch (ok...WAY too much) of stuff for lunch today with the two gyuto. VERY different personalities in both knives...but they absolutely do the job.

18. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Sweet, but too long. :p

19. Lol, right!

I do have this 120 petty as well :p.

I also thought I'd share some sharpness testing I did with a 240 standard grind:

Pretty cool stuff. I did do some slicing cuts off cameras, and it performed as expected. Very little disturbing of the base piece (though it did knock it over). So I've come to the conclusion that all is well on the edge front, lol.

Anyway! I'm shipping all the ones I've made so far out Monday (6 knives), and will be completing as many of the rest as I can before the ECG. Luckily most of them are in a decent state (hardened and pre-ground), so there won't be horrible amounts of time tied up in them. Just a matter of getting them all finished out :).