1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

SALE - 2nd Quality Martell Gyuto

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

OK folks, I have a knife to sell that just about kicked my ass and I want it gone! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's the deal? I reworked every aspect of this knife at least three times making this the longest knife build yet and I'm sick of looking at it. The knife is functionally well but aesthetically it has some issues. Let me explain.....

The handle is solid buffalo horn and easily the most difficult material that I've used on a handle to get finished just right. It's like working on a rock made of hair. Some belts and sandpaper work it easily and undercut it while other types don't undercut but don't move it at all - so damn strange. The horn fought me hard - VERY hard.

The bolster is something different for me, I went with nickle silver and decided to challenge myself even more (what was I thinking?!?!?!?) by pinning it vs attaching it over the tang. I was hoping to finally prove to myself that I could do this for a full tang knife if need be. Anyway, during my little experiment two things occurred that I was surprised to see. See below for details.

Then came time to do a final finish on the blade (post maker's mark application) and while doing this step my finishing belt broke and caused damage to the blade (ripped the heal off) and scratched the blade. Yeah I wasn't happy at all. Then to add to the disaster I had to get a new finishing belt which is many moons away from doing what the old worn belt would do so my final finish process is jacked.

Hell even taking the pictures of this knife proved to be a painful experience, it took 5 sessions to capture the awful pictures I'm showing here.

Here's the issues with this knife....

1. Left side of the bolster has an exposed pin showing through. I have no idea why it's like this but from what I can see the hole looks oblong to the roundness of the pin. This is strange because I had all of the pins looking great and well blended into the bolster but after refinishing the handle for the 3rd (or 4th) time (stupid buffalo horn!) this pin popped up. It just gets worse the more I try to make it go away so I've given up trying.

2. Right side of the bolster has 3 or 4 little pitted looking spots where there was voids in the nickle silver bar left from casting. This, like the pin mentioned previously, exposed itself after additional refinishing work was being done because of the stupid buffalo horn!

3. In messing with the bolster (see #1 & #2 above) I somehow managed to scratch the blade lightly in some spots. This likely came from the gloves I was wearing while handling the blade. I never do this, NEVER, I always handle the blade wrapped in tape, but in this case I had taken the tape off when I noticed a problem with the (stupid!) buffalo horn.

4. Now for the kicker (oh yeah there's more), the buffalo horn seems to expand and contract with temperature changes. I've seen the pin being flush and then slightly proud of the horn and then flush again and back and forth many times. It's not always when I'm working on the handle either, it just moves from sitting. I don't feel that this is drastic or reason to expect a failure but I'm concerned that it may move even more over time and what this could mean. Because of this I sealed the horn with a polymerizing oil to keep moisture out but like I said I think it's a temperature thing more than moisture. Too bad because the horn has a great look and feel to it, some light streaking on the top and bottom with lighter bands on the sides.

I attached several pictures (below) that I believe show the knife and it's issues accurately. Note - there's no pictures showing the light scratches on the blade - this is impossible to shoot - it's almost impossible to see in person but I'm mentioning it for full disclosure anyway.

Knife - Martell 240mm western hidden tang gyuto in O-1 @ Rc 59-60 with buffalo horn handle, nickel silver bolster & pin

Terms of Sale - Sold "As Is" - "2nd Quality" - Please look at all photos carefully and ask any questions that you may have before committing to purchase - I don't want to see this knife again.

Price - $475 (CONUS shipping included - will pro-rate for international)

Please PM me if interested.

Thanks for looking,
    Dave

P1010115.JPG P1010116.JPG P1010127.JPG P1010130.JPG P1010139.JPG P1010031.JPG P1010154.JPG P1010056.JPG P1010017.JPG

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

She is a looker Dave! Shame she gave you so much trouble on the way. I would think its especially frustrating when the materials themselves fail you when you have so much time invested in the knife.

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. Dave Martell

YES! I probably get more crazy over material issues like this that are out of my control than anything.

5. Dave Martell

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I think it is beautiful. I'd use it proudly.

7. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Regardless of admitted blemishes (I think it gives the knife character), this is one of the most stunning knives that I have seen in a while. :)

8. HHH Knives

HHH Knives Founding Member

Dave, That one is my favorite I have seen from you yet!

9. Dave Martell

10. Dave Martell

11. Jim

12. Dave Martell

13. Jim

14. MattS

MattS Founding Member