1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Rib roast fail

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Jim, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Everythimg looked good,did my failproof reverse sear to a perfect med rare... 20171119_113227.jpg 20171119_191641.jpg

Tasted terrible.. what a disappointment. . It was so very gamey, almost like mutton. It was supposed to have been Angus. Perhaps it was grass fed? Oh well.. crying in my coffee.

2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Win some, loose some. But the Hiromoto in the background looks great!

Trim the fat and chop it up as fine- throw it in a saute pan with some green peppers, onions and tomatoes then toss it together with an egg. Throw it on some bread with some cheese and enjoy.

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

what a shame. I would have guessed it was good. It looks good, before and after

4. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

That's terrible!

I don't know if she knew what she was talking about, but my mother always said gamey/musky meat came from an intact male. I've had the occasional steak taste like that. A whole roast tasting off would be infuriating.

Sounds like your grocery is due a phone call. Maybe they'll make good on it.

5. butch

butch Founding Member

even the deer around here doesnt have too much a gammy flavor. was the beef dry aged ? not sure i have ever cooked meat that was that brown in places

6. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

To me grass fed beef tastes very gamey, and awful. Growing up on a farm I'm just used to that sweet richness. Give those cows some corn!

Sorry to hear about your roast. That's just bloody annoying.

7. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Thanks for the commiserations. The roast was faux dry aged in my fridge for a few days , that's why it was quite dry looking. I find it really helps to get a good crust on it. Just salt and pepper.

8. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I guess sometimes it's just a bad cut of meat. A few years ago my mom made meatloaf for dinner one night. She's been making meatloaf the same way for AGES. Made it the exact same she's always made it but that night it was the worst meatloaf her and my dad had ever tasted. She said the both took one bite and looked at each other in disgust. Then threw it out.