1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Rehandle Gallery

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

The last 3 groups you've posted here are amazing. I cant figure how you get the and finish so fine Dave. The owners must be thrilled.

2. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

3. Dave Martell

Check out the full details of this project by clicking on the picture...

[​IMG]

4. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Nicely done, sir!

5. Dave Martell

This customer commissioned me to convert his Forgecraft to hidden tang and then construct a western shaped handle with hooked type ass end. The wood is Oregon maple burl from Burl Source.

P1010018.JPG P1010022.JPG P1010023.JPG P1010031.JPG P1010034.JPG P1010037.JPG P1010040.JPG

6. Dave Martell

Click on the picture below to see more pics and for build details....

[​IMG]

7. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Got all excited for a second about the hidden tang forgie. It looks mighty fine.

8. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

9. Dave Martell

Vintage Forgecraft Chef's Knife - Blade thinned, spine/choil rounded, tang converted to the hidden style, and a new handle created.

The handle was made a bit oversize in length to accommodate the customer's tastes. He selected ironwood as the main material & ancient bog oak for the ferrule. I think this works good on this knife.

It will be showing at ECG 2016 [​IMG]

P1010016.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    P1010027.JPG

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Those forgies look great, Dave!

11. Dave Martell

12. Dave Martell

Here's a pair of knives rehandled in Leopardwood (from DreamBurls)...

P1010006.JPG P1010012.JPG P1010013.JPG

13. Stellar work as always Dave! Love the look of the leopardwood. Was it easy to work with?

14. Dave Martell

Thanks!

It wasn't the easiest to deal with. I don't know how else to describe it, but there's sort of soft and hard spots. Then you have to decide on filling in all the pores or leaving the wood as it is, in this case I sealed with oil/varnish without trying to fill them in completely. I think you could go nuts trying to make this stuff perfect.

15. Dave Martell

Yoshihiro Blue Steel Gyuto

1. Converted to western (from wa)

2. Choil notched for finger groove

3. Spine/choil rounded/polished

4. Handle wood is amboyna burl. Ferrule is African blackwood. Spacers are copper/G10

[​IMG]

P1010003.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010011.JPG P1010012.JPG P1010016.JPG

16. Dave!!! That looks f'n AWESOME, and the burl is even nicer than I remembered!!!

17. Dave Martell

I'll take "f'n AWESOME" any day! :cool1

Yeah the burl is pretty decent, nice tight grain. I really like your idea on the copper spacers, glad you stuck with that. You'll be surprised by how much more copper(y) they look in person, they just came out nice. And FWIW, this is the nicest finish I've ever achieved on blackwood....it has me wanting to use it more.

Thanks again for the work CD!

18. Dave Martell

Mr. Itou R-2 Damascus Gyuto

This knife came in with a real fancy (maybe a bit too fancy) mother of pearl handle. I was tasked to replace it with wood, something "striped" & "sturdy". I went with a premium block of koa and used mosaic pins to add a little flair back in to match the blade.

I LOVE working with koa, it's a great wood to shape and the results are stunning but damn does it take a miracle to capture the beauty within a picture. A video would be better suited to show off this wood as it's got great 3-D movement and such depth. I'm 100% certain that the owner is going to see the difference when he gets this back in his hands. [​IMG]

P1010037.JPG P1010042.JPG P1010049.JPG P1010055.JPG

19. Dave Martell

This knife was not only rehandled it was thinned & etched too! [​IMG]
    *Note - this knife was super thick on the left side only, the right had almost no cladding on it down at the edge...go figure!?

The handle is green dyed box elder burl with nickel silver pins.

Hiromotos always look good in green, no? [​IMG] [​IMG]

P1010006.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010016.JPG P1010018.JPG P1010022.JPG P1010030.JPG P1010031.JPG

20. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

I think you can make about anything look great in any color! Amazing work as always Dave!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk