1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Refurbishing old metal

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Argonaut, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

What would be the best way to remove rust and polish up a few old axe heads without damaging any makers marks? Since realizing I am currently sans axe, I have a few heads I'm bidding on that will need some TLC if and when they arrive, along with handles.

2. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

If the maker's mark is stamped in, use BreakFree CLP. It's crazy stuff.

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Best case some CLP. Worst case, sandpaper/scotchbrite. Worse worse case, acid wash.

4. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

This is what I'll be working with when it arrives. A WWII army issue hatchet head, I plan to make a handle from Bodark wood, I figure an 18-24 inch handle would make for a decent camp axe/hatchet. I only paid $12.95 with free shipping, and the wood source is free. The hammer end is mushroomed pretty bad, but I can grind that down. The edge doesn't look like it's been messed with compared to some that I've seen. Anyway, I hope to make something useful out of it. axe1.JPG axe2.jpg axe3.jpg axe4.jpg

5. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member