1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

RAW/Jpeg and Lightroom questions

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by mark76, Oct 4, 2015.

1. This is rather off-topic, but since there are a number of photography-enthusiasts here, I thought I'd ask the question here. If you can point me to a good photography/editing forum, that'd be helpful too.

I've recently started to use Lightroom for managing photos. I've also started to use it for editing, but I'm not sure whether I like it better than Bridge/Camera Raw from Photoshop. I've got two questions involving RAW and Jpeg photographs.

- I've set up my camera so it stores both RAW and Jpeg. The RAW files are better for editing, the Jpeg files are usually nicer "out of the box". However, when sorting out the photographs in the Library of Lightroom (just after importing), I've got both. That is not handy, 'cause it multiplies the number of photographs by two. And most often, when I like a photographs, I want to keep both the Jpeg and the RAW. Has anyone got tips for a workflow in which you have both the RAW and the Jpeg of the same photographs?

- In most cases the Jpeg was "developed" almost perfectly by my camera. Just not completely perfectly. So then I start editing, which I always do on the RAW file. However, the RAW file was not "developed" and can be quite different from the Jpeg. I would first like to recreate a Jpeg-like photograph from the RAW file, but in that case it can be quite difficult. Are there any tips for this?

- I can edit Jpeg files in Lightroom, too. However, Lightroom doesn't use and XMP file for storing adaptations, like it does for RAW files. Where does it store its adaptations? (If it is in the Jpeg file itself, why don't other Jpeg-viewers show the adaptations?)

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  2. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

My understanding is that when you import the files, they go to the hard drive or other selected media. Lightroom is the database that contains the location and steps taken to develope the images, not the images themselves, they always reside as imported into your hard drive. I think to get them saved with editing they have to be exported but I'm a LR novice, so take with a grain of salt. Also, am just starting to use raw files so all my experience up to now is Jpeg.

I know that there are thousands of youtube tutorials out there but I found this one sponsored by B&H photo very good. quite thorough too. If you like it, they have more for later iterations and more focused content.
    Mike

3. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

go to a photography forum speciailizing in you brand of camera and search for info on Lightroom presets. Lots of people have made up and share preset info on camera body/ lens combos.

4. Thanks! Have you got a link for this?

5. WildBoar

what is your camera?

6. Canon EOS 650D

7. WildBoar

Workflow: Sorry, no pointers here as I save both (although I usually do not use the jpegs for anything except thumbnails in Windows Explorer).

Developing: Lightroom has a bunch of presets, so start there first. I don't know what Canon forums are out there, but chances are they will have people who made some presets and are willing to share. Try googling 650D, lightroom (version) and preset -- you will get a ton of links. Most are for 'effects', as they generally indicate the LR presets mock the camera jpg output reasonably well. Plus you can always start with a LR preset and play with some of the setting to make your own custom preset.

Sidecar Files: That is only for RAW. jpgs get permanantly altered; changes are not reversable like changes in RAW are.