1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

puzzled.

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Brad Gibson, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

I remember this! Lucretia, you are my hero, even without painted toenails. These are knife skills.

2. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

My version of that would have loose toes rolling around.

3. Mrmnms

I remember being tested on the the accuracy of my dice, brunoise, jullienne, and batonnets. I got off on it back them . I liked turning mushrooms , garde manger etc. Not as much any more. My "audience" prefers "rustic". It's a different set of expectations we deal with. I sort of get where Brad is coming from . Nothing wrong with the pursuit of precision or excellence . No doubt he has good skills. As I expect many other are here, I am very confortable with my skills as well.

4. mkriggen

mkriggen Founding Member

I tried that with a gyuto, didn't go so well. Sigh...I guess my knife skills suck:fp

foot.JPG

Be well and mele kalikimaka,
    Mikey

5. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

that is fair enough. Difference is, im not going to Get myself an account on a chisel and woodwork forums and brag about my vintage russian chisels that are worth propably a quid a piece, just because i own them.
    i can sharpen them and carve cavities out, but my insight is not deep enough to give others advice. And that's why i keep my piehole shut.

and here we stand. People with expensive items are regarded to be having vast knowledge on the subject. The subject of using ofcourse, not having.

There, i did say that.

so i would not go as far as saying you cannot buy nice clothes, rather watch out who tells you theyre nice.

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

7. I would guess most people on the Fora are just happy to see great knives and amazing craftsmanship regardless of who owns them, as long as they are appreciated by the owner.
    I am just a home cook with decent knife skills, nothing great that would hold up in a pro kitchen though, I can still appreciate a great knife and the skill that went into making it, if I can't use it to 100% of it's potential that shouldn't mean I can't have the opportunity to own it. When I cook at home with a great knife I seem to take more pride in my cooking and it is all part of the whole kitchen experience for me.
    The main part for me is being able to appreciate and respect the work of a skilled craftsman, that to me is more important than being able to push that product to it's limit.
    As long as the knife or whatever high end item is respected and isn't trashed by the owner then is the most important thing for me.
    Let's all just enjoy the great work by the amazing makers out there:)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  8. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I'm not sure I'm going to read any more of this thread, but I'll throw what I feel it warrants at it, knowing fully well that a vendor/craftsman/whateverthehelliam shouldn't have an opinion:

Who the hell cares how someone handles a knife? If you can afford it, and it makes you feel good, then get it. If it makes cooking more enjoyable for you, regardless of whether or not you're a pro, or home cook, then go for it. When I was "in the food game", we used Nella restaurant pieces of crap. They sucked. Food was served. Sides of beef were broken down. People ate food. The truth is that nobody needs a $1500 knife, but it's fun to have one and it makes people feel happy.

I hope there's a soft landing spot for when you fall off your high horse....

9. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Fair enough, I can definitely agree. Having an expensive knife does not make an expert. Anything garnered from any forum/chat should likely be taken with a grain of salt. Its just another point of reference in the decision algorithm which is missing the most important variable of personal experience.

10. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Stop buffing handles with unprotected blades hehe. Seriously looks painful, how did that happen? Happy healing.

11. Mrmnms

Rather than beat a dead horse or fill this great place with more negative energy, I would like to encourage members with great skills, ambition and time to share some of their knife skills , sharpening skills, and cooking technique . Lead by example. I would love to see more posts like this. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post a picture or video demonstrating good skills, whether it be boning out a chicken , serving up some great home cooking or sharpening a knife. It's a great resource you share .