1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Pot Roast...a bit of early comfort food.

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by zwiefel, Nov 9, 2014.

1. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Damn...looks like I done started something...something good! :)

Pics Lucretia....or it didn't happen. :er

2. You most definitely started something. It's on my to do list next day or two :like

3. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

OK, pics:

Browning the roast in some olive oil:

Pot1.jpg

Some veg to go with. Mushrooms looked nice today; planning to saute them in some butter later, make a roux, and add them at the end of cooking to thicken the gravy. There will be green beans, too.

Pot2.jpg

Onions cooked down in the oil and brown bits after the meat, then carrots, garlic, and spices added (including the crushed red pepper--that will be something new.)

Pot5.jpg

Mass quantity of wine added & ready to be covered to go in the oven for a few hours:

Pot6.jpg

To be continued...the big question for tonight is whether to have this over rice or to whip up some biscuits (grabbed some buttermilk at the grocery, too.)

4. zwiefel

Looks great Lucretia! Now you have me thinking about substituting a light red or maybe red/white combo for my stock. I haven't done that in a long time.

5. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Came out ok--the mushrooms were the best part.

Pot7.jpg

6. zwiefel

I'll take two, one to go. Looks great Lucretia!

7. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Plenty of leftovers--it was a big roast for 2. One thing I like about shredding the meat into the cooking juices is that it stores better without drying out.

8. zwiefel

Yes, it had me thinking about how it would re-heat better, partially b/c of the increase surface area and partially b/c it would be submerged in the remaining liquid (as much as is possible).

9. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

Lucretia, what you made looks delicious. I'm just pondering the fact that you shredded the meat. Maybe it's a matter of it being so different from what I'm accustomed to -- the traditional (at least in my home) slices. The basic textures are dramatically different, and even though the basic flavors might even be identical, it seems to me shredding transforms it from pot roast into something different. (I'm certainly not saying that what you made might not be as good -- indeed, I'd probably bet that yours tastes better than any pot roast I make -- but rather that it's just very different.) Off the top of my head, I can't think of any good examples of analogous transformations -- sloppy joes vs. hamburgers? probably not.

Would be interested in what professional chefs, or more experienced home cooks than myself (that probably includes just about everyone), think of the issue. Of course in a practical sense I suppose it's ultimately academic; if a change in something fundamental like meat texture tastes much better, then who cares whether it differs from a more common traditional style?

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Larry, normally the roast is in bigger chunks, but hubby was working late so everything just broke down to strings while it was simmering and waiting for him.

I always had pot roast sliced, and there was always a miss-match between the amount of gravy and the amount of beef. (Too little gravy is just a crime!) This way you can adjust the liquid in the pot. And you can also remove any gristle or suspicious-looking tubes from the meat while you pull it apart.

Just for you, I will now officially call it "Pre-chewed Potroast." ;)

11. zwiefel

"pulled pot roast?"

12. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Surely I'm not the only one who remembers Pre Chew Charlie's?

13. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

Didn't remember that at all (maybe I missed it, way back when).
    Had to look it up.

But found your reference to "pre-chewed pot roast" awfully funny when I read it.