1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Poached eggs

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Jim, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I was out to brunch with my bride today and as the waiter walked past he had a plate of eggs benidict.(sp?)
    Nothing weird about that except the eggs were poached almost like golf balls..perfectly round.
    Any idea how the cook got them that way? I was thinking SV in the shell.....

2. Hi Jim - it was probably something along these line (yes SV but also then finished "normally" to get the perfect egg shape).

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

About mid-way down on this link you will find the sectioned titled "Perfect Sous-Vide Poached Eggs" where Kenji goes into the details - apparently taken from Chef Nick Anderer (of New York's Maialino).

FWIW - You could also similarly just put the raw egg into a plastic wrap pouch which is then shaped in a ball (& tied off prior to the SV time & temp that Kenji shows) if you wanted them perfectly round. I have done various proteins in "shapes" using the plastic wrap - typically to make perfect lolli pop shaped legs or tubes (using fish, poultry, etc.) to get the desired shape.

I'm sure some pro's will chime in with better info/methods.

TjA

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member