1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Pictures of your new acquisitions

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Antonio, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Konosuke FM Fujiyama B#2 Damascus 240mm Gyuto

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  2. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Konosuke FM Fujiyama B#2 300mm Sujihiki

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

5. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

!!!WOW!!!

6. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Thanks guys, my wallet hasn't stopped crying yet...

7. Jim

8. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Hitohira Tanaka Kyuzo Aogami 2 Stainless Clad 240mm Gyuto

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jim

10. CHRISTMAS KNIVES-01.jpg My lovely friends and family know I cook at home and in the city for the Church of England church and the Hare Kryshnas so...
    For Christmas they got me some relatively inexpensive but lovely knives plus more wooden chopping boards a pizza cutter, a can opener, whetstone holders, diamond sharpening plates an electric blender and a Ruixin pro 009 fixed angle rig.
    The whole caboodle must have cost over $400 - I am so lucky!
    My tiny kitch is chocka - it can`t take any more equipment.I love big rectangular Asian knives - I have about 20 now!

From the left is an eight inch 1 kg carbon steel bone chopper with wooden handle and 6mm thick blade - razor sharp out of the box - fabulous.
    There is two 8 inch Shibazi all stainless steel cleavers - amazing workhorses.
    The top middle middle one is a Granton of Sheffield - England extra wide 12" slicer with black plastic handle and rounded tip.
    Just below the big long knife is a Chinese 9" yanagiba single bezel with maple handle.
    The four knives with holes in the blades and wooden handles are light, scary sharp and a total bargain for the quality.
    The all black one is a 6" ceramic nakiri which is fantastic - light and very sharp.
    The two budget medium sized 7" Chinese chef knives are light and purposefull.
    Below the knives are three new chopping boards which are terrific too.Two good oak ones and a little beech one.
    Now I have plenty of cooking stuff to play with - but no more room to store it !!!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  11. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I've not seen the drilled holes before. Very interesting.

12. Thanks for the reply Wagner the Wehrwolf.
    I got the 4 Asian style blades with holes for Christmas - they are supposed to help with food release because they don`t suck so much and they do work.They were only about $25 I think.They`re really light with thin blades that don`t wobble and came scary sharp out of the box.They`re high carbon stainless but I don`t know the formula; it wasn`t specified.

13. Wagner the Wehrwolf

I need another Sabatier like I need another hole in my head. But I didn't have this one. Sabatier 589. PXL_20230308_195522850.jpg

14. Jim

Very nice! It could do double duty to repel pirates from your ship in a pinch.:rolleyes

15. What`s that - a 13" Sebatier cooks knife - that`s gorgeous Wagner the Wehrwolf - It will last a lifetime - can cut anything and is tough as old boots.

I only have three old stainless Sebatiers - a 3" paring with the tip snapped off and a thinned 6" and plus a thin stamped 8" bread knife and they`ve all been heavily abused but they still cut fine.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  16. [​IMG]
    My Mercer M33220 was $30 from Amazon and is a budget high carbon stainless.It is 203mm x 84mm and 365 grams or 8" x 3.25" and 12.87 oz.It is a bit heavy, narrow and thick-bladed but I can handle that.
    I have bigger carbon 8"x 4" choppers that weigh less but they cost more.

It doesn`t matter if the grind is a bit uneven ; that can be sorted out promptly.
    A lot of Western chefs are not used to big caidao`s but once you get the hang of them ; they`re brilliant.
    I lived in China for ages so I just did as the locals did haha!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  17. [​IMG]
    Here`s my cheapie Chinese Tristar Stainless £11 ten inch heavy chopper I got from the local Asian bargain shop.
    The top one is an eight inch for comparison.

I like it - it does big bones, frozen stuff, meat, veg and fish quite well and I`m happy.

18. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here`s my Chinese Chun Carbon chopper - it`s a beast - 1/4" blade and 2.3 lb so bones don`t bother it at all.It was only £21 quid - bargain.

19. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Got these serrated and budget knives in the last few weeks.They`re not spectacular but they get the job done.

From the top is a 7" black-handled santoku with holes which was £7 pounds
    The three identical cream coloured Procook 5" serrated will double as steak knives; they were a tenner £10.
    The fifth one down is a Japanese black Kuhn Rikon Colori titanium 5" serrated which will do steaks too at a pinch; that was nine quid £9
    The 6th one down is a white-handled 5" Brazilian Tramontina which is scary sharp - that was £5 a fiver.
    The green-handled one on the bottom of the board is a 4" parer and was only £1 a quid and came shaving sharp OOTB.
    £32 pounds sterling for seven okay knives is not bad; I don`t need expensive knives.
    I`m getting this 5" Chinese Shooziz monster folding pocket cleaver next week hopefully.That was just over £40 quid.

20. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Another knife I certainly don't need but didn't have.

Wester Brothers No.31 10"

PXL_20230424_224852277~3.jpg