1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Overhyped/ underrated knives

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Rami, Apr 7, 2014.

1. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

It is really nice , perfect fit and finish but it is too small for my hands

2. stevenStefano

stevenStefano Founding Member

I love the Hattori FH. The steel is great, it is so much better than any other VG10 knife it isn't even comparable, I used mine recently for the first time in a while and I was super impressed. Mine held an edge longer than many fancier knives with supposedly "better" steel. The profile of the blade and the handle are both great. Guess this illustrates how confusing knives can be for new people.........

3. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

Do you live in the twilight zone, by chance?

4. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Hattori FH is a great knife. My only real complaint is how it feels where the bolster and choil meet up. It doesn't feel natural in the hand, as a result (or my hand, anyways). Other than that, it's a great piece. I'm one of those guys who loves VG10's edge taking. Keep your stone wet, and snap off the burrs with smith a slightly higher angle on your stropping, and the stuff is pretty terrific.

As for Moritakas, I've liked all three that come to mind, that I've used, quite a bit.

5. EdipisReks

VG-10 is good stuff, I agree, you just have to treat it right.

6. Huw

Huw Founding Member

Thats because you're holding it in the wrong hand! You should try holding it in your right hand :D

7. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Hahaha. You could be...ummm...right....

Thought of another under-rated maker:

Mike Davis

8. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Source: http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/post56063.html?hilit=#p56063

Maybe the hype is simply coming from the spinmasters (I mean the retailers)?

9. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

10. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I've said before that Takeda has made great knives, I'd just advise to check on your specific (exact) knife before purchasing to ensure you get a good one because he's slipping lately.

11. you know, when i started this thread I wanted to know what would be a good quality knife vs one which is just marketing. it was a simple idea of getting a high quality piece without getting hype. ie stay away of "Cut Brooklyn" and get a Kramer. both extreme examples I know. but when I take a closer look there are too many variables and it looks like personal feelings have a lot in it. I cant just order knives to try them willy nilly, at least I would like to limit my options first.

12. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Ohhhh well that's easy. You just call or email Jon at Japanese Knife Imports, tell him how you plan to use the knife, what you want it to do, any special features and let him recommend 3 or 4 knives to you. Then pick one. :D

13. EdipisReks

Yeah, call Jon.

14. well I do have some knives on the way (not from JKI btw, shipping is a bit pricey). but still want to look at them, expand my knowledge as it were. which is why I haven't put in an "I need a knife thread" :). I am sort of gathering ideas for the next one around the end of the year.

15. cclin

cclin Founding Member

Here is one for you "N u b a t a m a Black Steel gyuto" I can't find anybody know what exactly "Black Steel" is??:confused:

16. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

I was hoping the KKF vs. CKTG crap wasn't going to spill over to here. I'm totally is sick of it personally.

17. well the fact that the maker's name is not mentioned anywhere is telling.

18. panda

panda Founding Member

black steel, inverse of white. Takes dull edge, last forever, hard to sharpen?

19. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

+1. Luckily I'm geographically required to use vendors and resources that keep me out of the monkey poop fight.

20. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Many makers are not real names. Itinomonn, Kochi, Yamawaku, and many other names are not actually smith or business names, but brands with unidentified producers (some may in fact be the same people). A few like Zakuri and some of the Sakai brands actually mention their makers, but many do not.