1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Onion Soup

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by James, Mar 9, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Onion Soup

tumblr_l6w87oexcE1qbu6j7.jpg

Well everyone new has to start somewhere, and all those poor onions tend to take the fall to the new knifer in the world. I thought it best to share some great recipes for onion soup so at least the onions could have somewhere to be put to good use.​

2. James

2014-03-09 17.02.18.jpg

5 Onions in the pot,... I shall see this thread again in a little while

3. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

LOVE onion soup!

If you rub some foil with oil, put your cheese on the oily foil and stick it in the oven to melt, you get lovely melted cheese that goes right in your bowl with no mess.

4. panda

panda Founding Member

cook the onions in batches, when they are crowded they just mush instead of getting happy. also, brown the onions for as long as you have the patience, longer happy time means more yumminess.

5. Alacrity59

Alacrity59 Founding Member

So many great recipes involve onions. I read once how General Ulysses S. Grant refused to advance before a wagon train of onions was delivered. I agree.

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

7. James

I think the tiny little cutting board (6 x 10) is keeping me more busy. lol thank goodness the SaniTuff comes tomorrow so I have big room to do stuff. The soup came out great, Ill post the recipe tomorrow, I have to figure out what to do with the huge amount of left overs I have lol

8. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

9. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

Nice onions, and I like the tip about foil and cheese.

k.

10. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Thanks for that, haven't made onion soup in a long time - will change that this week, I hope.

Stefan

11. James

So Here is the recipe I followed, It came along with the Nakiri I bought from Knifewear, lol they know your going to use it on onions and they have this to send out to give you something to do with them

comes from a BBQ guy names Ken Black.

Creole Onion Soup

1-1/2 Unsalted Butter
    5 Large Onions, Chop chopped
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    6 cups chicken broth
    6 cups beef broth
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    10 gruyere cheese slices
    sliced toasted french bread

so It goes like this

Melt Butter in heavy 5-6 quart stock pot over medium, add onions sauté stirring often until limp and transparent, about 20 minutes. sprinkle in sugar stir to blend increase heat to high medium cook stirring until onions are lightly browned with slightly crisp edges, about 5 to 6 minutes. reduce heat to medium and add all the flour, stir until combined cooking another 2-3 minutes. Slowly stir in broths, bring to a boil to thicken some, reduce heat, season with salt and pepper and simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally. taste and adjust seasoning if needed. ladle soup into boal add bread and top with cheese, broil until melted serve hot.

And you will have a great filling soup for crappy days outside

12. panda

panda Founding Member

that sounds lovely, but what makes it creole?

13. James

I have no idea... I dont even know what creole is other then the name of the recipe on the sheet

14. panda

panda Founding Member

if you have any of that batch left try adding sherry vinegar and some ground cayenne. it should take it up a notch as the sweetness will be balanced out from acid and heat.

15. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

I always thought a dry white wine to be an essential ingredient - dry riesling with its acidity works great. Whatever I did not drink while the onions caramelized ends up in the soup :)

Stefan

16. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I think it is intended for use with creole onions, which are little spring onion type guys we get in late spring.