1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

OK so you only get 1 knife......

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by turtle, Feb 24, 2014.

1. gavination

gavination Founding Member

Out of curiosity, why no AEBL? I never thought of it as a delicate steel or having bad edge retention. Is there something I'm missing about it? (Which is likely because I don't know a lot) :lol:

2. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Must have never used AEB-L, done by Adam Marr. :D My Marrs were tough as nails, and took wicked edges.

3. cclin

cclin Founding Member

don't get me wrong! I love my aeb-l steel knives from DT & Marko. It took very fine/wicked edge & very easy Sharpening; however, edge holding were never aeb-l steel's forte.....compare to some high carbon stainless steels & pm steels.

4. roberto

roberto Founding Member

only one knife;no gyuto for me I think a 120 to 150mm parer in white or blue for me,I don't see me peeling an apple with a 270mm gyuto

5. gavination

Gotcha. I guess I always thought edge retention was pretty good for AEBL, but yea, compared to some others, not as much haha.

6. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

Yep, that is a sweet knife Chuckles, but I am not so sure the elusive yeti (Justin) will be along any time soon.

k.

Edit: that knife has one of the best integral bolsters I have ever seen.

7. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

One knife huh…I'm still thinking don't rush me.

k.

8. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Yea but I want to see you chop cabbage with a paring knife. ;)

9. cclin

cclin Founding Member

I've tried Adam Marr's 52100 Honesuki Karring lent me, Adam truly make great knife! I agree AEB-L steel has good toughness & took very fine wicked edge; however, edge retention is just ok, not too impress after all. edge holding just isn't strong point for AEB-L steel, IMO!
    I'm looking forward to read your review of Rader's new stainless steel.:)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  10. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

You could always take a peeler with you, the thread says only one knife but not only one kitchen utensil :D

11. hbeernink

hbeernink Founding Member

pshaw - simple. you guys just need some knife skills.

Who needs a peeler? (love the description, "the only downside is that if you make a mistake you cut off your hand...")

12. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Damn, the tip of that knife gets worryingly close to his eyes.

I hope he never does that hangovered.

13. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

How many apples did this guy ever cut?!

14. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

That was his first and only one... he quite while he was ahead

15. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

be right back, buying some apples.

16. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

next thread will be 'so which is your most hideously ugly knife....'

17. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I try not to use that knife. It makes hands hurt and I wonder how I used it or 5 years before getting a new one or how so many culinary schools in the area give it to students to use...

18. gavination

Because they got it as a student to use so every student should get to experience such exquisite pleasure. :D And thus a tradition was born!