1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

OK so you only get 1 knife......

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by turtle, Feb 24, 2014.

1. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

At this point in time I would say a 270mm gyuto with a flat profile and not too tall either. Which one specifically? Well...
    I need to try a chuka bocho as I've heard it's as versatile as a gyuto.

2. jigert

jigert Founding Member

IMG_9051.jpg The second Harner in this thread. No surprise really, since he does some awesome knives.
    IMG_9051.jpg
    I would make do with just this knife, no problem. I actually did for a month or two when we had everything in moving boxes.
    It's about 165mm long, 47mm tall, W2 steel and bocote handle. It can handle anything in my kitchen and if I need to be a bit brutal with something I always reach for it.
    It can take a beating but that doesn't mean it's not up for delicate tasks as well. The steel takes a nice edge and a great patina.

Got it from Lefty at sharpandshinyshop. Thanks again!

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

4. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I have one in a similar style on order with Butch. 170mm-ish with the same general shape. I don't know for sure if mine will be more delicate, but I've tried to express my love for super-thin edges, so we'll see. It seems I'm constantly after the "one" knife. I figure the Harner will be right up there, only to be nudged out when tackling bigger stuff like cabbage.

5. jigert

jigert Founding Member

Yeah, who am I kidding ;)

6. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Mine could be an "only knife" too. They are great.

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Rick,
    If you could indulge my ignorance, to my eye the knife shown is not too dissimilar to the Gyutos offered by some makers. Can you help me get my head around it?

8. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Can't say a single brand or maker. But a 225mm petty or sugi (whatever you want to call it) with about 38mm heel give or take. All the versatility of a parer, chef knife and slicer. And can work on a small board like for on the line. It doesn't master any task but it can do all tasks from slicing proteins to slicing tomatoes, dicing potatoes to even cutting watermelon.

9. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

20140222_124414.jpg This Mario 250. It has been lent to me and I don't ever want to return it. Probably one of the finest knives I have ever used, super crazy grind.

10. stevenStefano

stevenStefano Founding Member

Probably this one. My Tilman 210 suji. Used it literally every day in work since I got it. Can do things like this with it.

IMAG0119.jpg IMAG0809.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  11. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Agreed. This is mine.

suji.jpg

12. Birnando

Birnando Founding Member

I think my Shigefusa Sujihiki would be the most all-round tool for me.
    That or a good Gyoto, like my prototype Kato

13. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Height at the heel. Most gyutos are 45 mm or more. Sujihikis are 30-35 mm. A "line knife" splits the difference.

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks
    So what we are getting at is clearance under the handle for your fingers while using it on a board? At the upper height it becomes unwieldy? when you say height at the heal are you talking from the edge to the spine or edge to the under side of the handle?

15. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

I have taken the Mario mentioned above for a test drive & can tell you it is one of the finest knives that I have every used. I totally agree, the grind is just SICK!

As far as my own collection: Don't think I can pick just one (maybe HHH 240mm Gyuto).

16. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Edge to spine.

17. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

One of my Heijis, for sure.

18. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

So.. If we don't have to own it, I would choose this. My favorite knife. I have had the luxury of using this knife in a limited manner on a number of occasions. If money is no object and if the absolutely unique qualities of the damascus and handle construction don't disqualify it, then this is my winner...... I am sure the owner will be along soon enough.

image.jpg

19. hbeernink

hbeernink Founding Member

yeah, and we've seen that new rader.... I'm not buying it! (very nice blade, BTW)

20. hbeernink

hbeernink Founding Member

um, that's kind of silly - as in I'm laughing in disbelief as to the unbelievable beauty of that thing. it's a bit tall for my liking, but the blade profile looks really nice - care to share who made it?