1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

OK so you only get 1 knife......

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by turtle, Feb 24, 2014.

1. turtle

turtle Founding Member

So if you were only going to have 1 kitchen knife....

What would it be and why would you choose that one?

2. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

One of Jims, cause his stuff is nice then mine.

On a serious note, with my litle experience an all rounder like a Gyuto or the kirisuke would be what I would go with style wise. from my window shopping a Konosuke Fujiyama blue 2 seems to be a good option, (That is if i cant sneak out one of Jims)

3. Chop

Chop Founding Member

Marko or DT....

4. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Six months ago I would have said a gyuto or chef's, 8 to 9" long. Today, I say an 8" line knife, like the Harner shown here.

[​IMG]

5. turbo

turbo Founding Member

My worn in 240 misono dragon. It's in between a suji and gyuto freshly thinned and is the most versatile. 7 years later it's still on top.

6. Antonio

Antonio Founding Member

What's the height?

7. timthebeaver

timthebeaver Founding Member

Kramer Damascus Chefs, so I could hawk it on the 'bay for silly money.

8. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

39 mm at the heel. Enough to be usable on a board.

9. Paradox

Paradox Founding Member

This is like the guys on the gun forums asking "if you only had ONE handgun" which would it be? Sorry, I'm not going to ever have only one of either. ;) :cool:

10. gunnerjohn

gunnerjohn Founding Member

I would go along with this same statement and would be hard pressed to only have one, but if the world was going to $#!T and a one grab was in order, I would get my Phil Wilson 154CM Chef Knife with Red Linen Micarta handles shown here
    [​IMG]

11. panda

panda Founding Member

Custom Takeda 270 gyuto, its damn near perfect.

12. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

It was only a matter of time before this thread showed up, and I'm sorry I didn't think of it first. I refuse to play because I haven't tried any great knives yet. They're on order, though.

-Andy

13. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I think I may have seen this, regardless, would love to see some pics.

14. MattS

MattS Founding Member

It has always been my goal to get my collection down to just a few knives, I guess its not much more of a stretch to go to just one.

For me it would have to be my DT "mystery" steel san mai. Thin tip, medium heel makes it feasible for any task. The length 250 mm, is great for slicing and dicing. It works great on large cuts of meat or just slicing garlic. The steel is reasonably wear resistant, yet pops back to a keen edge easily and the edge profile.....perfect not too flat, not too curvy-just right. As an added bonus, my beautiful wife is very capable with it as well.

15. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I'm not playing. I've tried, and I've failed miserably. Ok, if I have to; Today, my answer is...nah, can't do it.

16. Antonio

Antonio Founding Member

It might be my 230 HG carter with a fish handle and saya; Short heel, nimble, takes a damn good edge and quite easy on the eyes. But it would take an executive decision not to walk out with the DT San Mai 250 as well.

17. panda

panda Founding Member

MattS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    270 length, 58 height, handle from a 270 gengetsu, perfect fit i love the dimensions and feel of it plus it's light so good balance. the profile has been flattened as well. the choil shot is pretty crappy but the grind is wonderful. strong right shoulder, smooth left shoulder concave in the middle which tapers drastically from the spine.

18. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

My 1 knife would be my Tanaka Sekiso. Cuts everything it comes across very well, midweight between laser and workhorse and holds an edge very well, too. I have yet to find a gyuto that outcuts it across the board.

19. gavination

gavination Founding Member

20. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Youse guys be crazy.