1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

New Zwilling BK 'Essential' line at SLT

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by katanamike, May 26, 2014.

1. Just discovered this while browsing for knives on the SLT website:

http://www.surlatable.com/category/TCA-257775/Chef's+Knives?cleanSession=true&pCat=CAT-257066

Any thoughts or anyone seen those in person?

I've been interested in BK knives for a while. The BK originals are far above anything that my better half would approve for a knife, the Z BK stainless damascus slightly above what I'm ready to pay and the Carbon line too high maintenance. So this might be the one?

2. I don't own a real Kramer knife, or even a Shun or Henckels copy. From what I have read various people who do own a real Kramer knive find the Henckles/Zwilling carbon steel version to be the closest to feeling like and working like the real thing. The Shun version (no longer being made) just didn't do it right.

[​IMG]

I sell cutlery (I own a retail cookware shop) and I probably wouldn't spend that kind of money on a copy. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice knife and all that. But, it is still a mass produced knife at a somewhat inflated price. Don't believe all the hype about all the hand finished this and that they spew when describing ANY mass produced knife.

I would be more inclined to find a real knifemaker and buy a hand made knife from them. (there are lots of them on this forum) Who knows... ten years from now their knives might be as much in demand as the Bob Kramer knives. Even if it does not appreciate in value you will have appreciated the quality and craftmanship all those years.

Nancy

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

They just don't do it for me. I am a novice in the kitchen knife world though, but I have learned in my short time here that knives are very personal things. Wouldn't that knife compare to something like a Tojiro DP?

4. A better comparison for the ZBK Essential would be the Zwilling Miyabi Evolution line. It uses the same steel. Zwilling Henckles, like many others, gives their steel a special name which makes it hard to compare to others. It is my understanding it is a carbon, high cromium, molybdenum steel. The “fine carbide distribution” description sounds like one of the powdered steels that are highly corrosion resistant (as in darn near dishwasherable).

How it fits your hand is the ultimate test, but how it fits your budget is important too.

5. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

I've got one of the Zwilling-Kramers (a 10" in 52100) and it is one of the most comfortable knives to use that I own. The distal taper is exceptional, especially since it is a production blade. The profile may not be what many are used to, but it works, proving that you can't jude a book by its cover (or a blade by its profile). If you like a tall knife, I think the new Essential knives would be worth a look.

6. Concerning profile, don't knock it until you use it. Like many here, I have many knives for different uses; it doesn't get used for every task but it meets pretty much most needs. This product fills a niche like any other. Despite my originals, I'd still like to get a carbon ZBL.

7. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Kramer's profile feels and works great. It's one case in which different is not a bad thing, in the least. Also, Zwilling is doing great things with his designs. He oversees a lot on these, I'm fairly certain to say.

8. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

I've never used FC61 steel, as far as I know. I have a 10 inch 52100 ZK that I use the most of any of my knives, but I thinned it out pretty heavily, based on pics of real Kramers that I've seen. It took a little while to get used to the taller tip, but (at least after thinning), it feels great and cuts super well. The very thin tip is great. If the essential has the same feel, and is a decent steel that will take a nice, thin edge, this seems like a deal.

9. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

13c26... Or, the same stuff as AEB-L.

10. Is FC61 the same steel as 13C26, and AEB-L? Henckels has always been cryptic about their knife steels. Of course so are any number of other manufacturers.

They were quite up front about using 52100 carbon steel in their Kramer carbon steel knife because they wanted to be able to say they were using the same steel Kramer used.

11. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I think you nailed it on the head, Nancy. Since Bob uses 52100, and it's en vogue, they proudly said the knives were made of the same steel. Since the stainless (13c26) is one they already have a mysterious name for, they continued calling it that for the new stainless Kramer line. The truth is, they always leave huge clues in regards to what the steel type is, and people always figure it out. I guess it's part of the fun.

When Bob and I last chatted, he said that he really likes the steel, and HT for these knives, and made sure they matched his standards - multiple hardening cycles, cryo, etc, etc.

I want one, but I already have my stainless blade that fits this spot perfectly, so it would be dumb to get one at this time (for me). However, after learning a bit more about these, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I was after a stainless chef (or parer, for that matter).

12. You guys are beginning to change my mind too!

I sold Henckels knives 20+ years ago. Didn't have any problems with their knives but found the company a bit difficult to do business with from a small retailer standpoint. I can deal with minimum dollars order amounts and most certainly understand case pack quantities on breakable items, but I draw the line when someone says you have to order knives in dozens. That works out fine for chef's knives and parers but makes it painful to stock the 12 inch salmon slicer, 14 inch chef's knives and other less popular knives. Wusthof is a lot more agreeable. I can order one knife if I want and they ship it. They will also ship the odd ball things they don't normally distribute in the US. It takes a while to get some things but they seem happy to have the orders.

The Henckels sales rep called me a few weeks back. I am about ready to call him back and say I want to order some of the Kramer knives.

13. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I'd love to get one...eventually...from you, if you do. :)

14. Yeah Lefty, since your Harner collaboration mini-gyutos are taking forever to happen, I might went with one of those Kramers instead :)

15. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

One man, versus a factory, my friend. ;)

16. Well… I wouldn't mind if Harner collaborated with someone to boost production and reduce costs (and preserve quality).

17. As the saying goes: quantity, quality, cost - pick two.

18. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

I have a Miyabi Ebolution, eight inch chef's, that has been converted to a Wa handle & Kiritsuke tip. I really dig the steel (takes a screaming edge) and would have to agree with Tom on the AEB-L comparison. Steels feel very similar on the stones.

19. Interesting. Would love to see a picture of this.

Sounds like I'll have to head to SLT to see one of those Essentials in person.

20. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Will post pic ASAP.