1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

New Bandsaw Blade Help

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Dream Burls, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Dream Burls

Dream Burls Founding Member

I need to buy a new bandsaw blade and I'm looking for some help in choosing the right one. As you might imagine, almost all my cutting is resawing and I can go cross grain. I cut a lot of really hard woods like Ironwood and I usually limit the height to about 12". I use an 18" Grizzly bandsaw. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. I'm no expert and I don't know what's available to you. But it sounds like you could benefit from using bi-metal blades. I know alot of swedish knifemakers that praise those for harder woods, and they can also cut softer metals with them. I haven't tried them myself (in my cheap wood bandsaw) yet though.

3. butch

butch Founding Member

i like sterrat and lonex blades and if you dont mind the thicker kerf might look into carbide tipped teeth

4. Dream Burls

Good advice, thanks guys. I'm leaning towards a bi-metal. Kerf is important to me Butch as I'm often dealing with tight tolerances, but it's not a deal breaker. I'll check out the carbide tipped. Thanks again.

5. Lenox bi-metal was the best among everything I've tried so far. It's not the fastest (due to small teeth), but very durable and was the only blade that really allowed me to make precise cuts on my cheep bandsaw.

6. Dream Burls

Thanks Anton. I've gotten some other Lenox recommendations. I'll take a close look at those.

7. butch

butch Founding Member

i dont liek the wider kerf ether but its not hateful (price is only hateful if you nock a few teeth off) when i was cutting a pile of mycarta in my crapsmen 12 inch wood saw
    the thicker blade was stiffer and the weld "bump" was noticable on a bigger better saw might not be noticable (BTW the blade was 3/4 deep)

8. Dream Burls

Just about to pull the trigger on a Lenox bi-metal. Just wondering if I should go 1/2" or 3/4".

9. butch

butch Founding Member

for riping block down to size i would get the 3/4 its stiffer and will drift less (im sure you know how to tune the guides for a good cut ) maybe i should post it for everyone as its a cool video

10. Dream Burls

Yes, that's the way to go. Thanks Butch.

11. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Its been a long while but remember that the wider the blade the better performance I got from it. Polyurethane tires on the wheels helped a lot also, they are pretty much standard now I think.

12. Dream Burls

I went back and forth quite a bit. Really didn't want to spent $100 or more on a bi-metal or carbide tip blade. Read really good things about the Highland Wood Slicer and just pulled the trigger on that in a 3/4". Just $40! I know, you get what you pay for, but I decided, for me, that this was a good place to start.

13. butch

butch Founding Member

might last well and maybe cost to cut is better for you in the long run after all you chip a few teeth oout of that big $ blade and its gong to suck to use
    let us all know as im always looking to bang for the buck consumables

14. Dream Burls

Will do Butch.

15. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

I have used the wood slicer and it just didn't last with stabilized woods.
    With bimetal I used about a dozen 3/4 wide before I went back to the 1/2.
    Not sure why but the lennox 1/2 bimetal (diemaster or something like that) is what I like best and use the most. 3 cost me just over 100 from bandsawbladesdirect.

Whatever you get spend about 10 minutes breaking in the blade. Cutting at 1/3 your normal rate of speed cutting on soft or medium woods.
    Seems to make the blade last a lot longer. Chuck Bybee from AKS told me about breaking in the blade like that. At first I thought BS, but it works.
    I use my bandsaw blades like sandpaper. As soon as I notice them starting to get dull I change them.