1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Need to go from single bevel to double bevel

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by NMaxy, Apr 2, 2015.

1. I'm trying to rescue these lousy knives. Supposed to be Doi and Masamoto's best Honyaki, but they only cut one way. When I try to chop onions, they always steer in one direction. Looking at the knives (see the photo), it seriously looks like they forgot to sharpen one side. I mean except for something they call unagi, or umeboshi or some such, they only sharpened one side.

So how do I go about fixing this? I'm thinking maybe bench grinder followed by belt sander? I need to get an edge on the second side or else I'm going to live with lopsided carrots forever. Maybe start reshaping on the bricks outside? After I fix the edge, how do I get the polish back? I run a rotary floor polisher at work, so maybe tape the knives to the floor and give then a few passes with the Oreck?

IMG_8072.JPG

2. In for the fun lol.

3. daveb

daveb Founding Member

I would go with the bricks. Be sure to soak them well with a hose and cover with dirt. The wet dirt will become mud which is the secret to successful sharpening. And as long as you're fixing these you might try a few taps on the pointy ends to properly seat the blades in the handles.

4. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

I would go around the issue.

Sometimes at some [popular] websites I can see knives which the old japanese masters for some kinky reason sharpened in a different manner - they say its for lefties, but Ive never ever seen a person holding a knife in their left hand so I dont believe that...
    I just think that in the fervor of grinding and polishing they forgot which side should be flat? [Even on top of forgetting that none should be flat]
    To keep the good name, they just decided to sell them at a higher price.
    So... Instead of distressing [danger of physical suffering] yourself with actual sharpening job and the time needed, just order the new knives which are faulty and glue the flat sides together of the new buy and your existing bad blade. Keep in mind to glue same lengths of blades and not too different ones. Ask me how I know??
    For three blades you just have to sheel out some petit two grand

The new creation might wedge a little so you maybe end up with ripped carrots but hey at least you get double bevels OBJECTIVE ACCOMPLISHED

PS: Im loving your Doi yanagi, however wrong it is :)

5. LOL!

6. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Get yerself a nice coarse bench grinder and have at it Neil. Test them by whacking against the side of a birch tree so you don't stress the edge too much.

7. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I have fixed these kinds of knives in the past, but the labor costs to you won't be worthwhile. I will trade you a Masamoto VG with a shoddy thinning job, and a custom saya for the lot though.

8. the best fix is actually to buy left handed counterparts and weld them together and attach a giant handle made out of only spacers

9. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

I would get a 36 grit cinder block to create the bevel....
    They're musch easier to reflatten once they dish out than brick is....
    Plus, they tend to stay in place, no stone holder needed...like with bricks....

10. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

HILARIOUS!!! :cool: Beautiful knives, Neal.

11. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

I agree on why the knives should always steer in that direction
    [​IMG]

I dont mind slices being lopsided

12. Man....that is difficult data to interpret. Three to the left, one to the right and one absolutely no clue.