1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

need Help.

Discussion in 'Bryan Raquin' started by cassca, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Sorry for the lack of contact Bryan, have had yet another family emergency. I've had little time to use the knife but plan to give it a good workout this weekend. I'll get with you the first of the week to return it and I'll try to give a little write up then too. Sorry for the delay and thanks for your patients!

2. Hey! don't worry ! family first !
    it's just a knife , it doesn't matter !

take care .

bryan

3. hi !
    is it the final list ?

-Anton
    -Zetieum
    -krassi
    -zoze
    -MattS
    -Mrmnms
    -Cheflarge

4. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Put me at the end so I can mess it up on stones before sending it back to you.

5. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Yes, I believe so. I shipped the knife to "Spaz", upon request. I believe he is last. Best.

Al

6. @XooMG ,you are the next , send a PM with your adress .

7. -Anton
    -Zetieum
    -krassi
    -zoze
    -MattS
    -Mrmnms
    -Cheflarge
    -Spaz
    -XooMG

8. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

I look forward to seeing what XooMG does on this. I miss this knife.

9. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Knife is shipping out to Robert Friday sometime. I'll try to add a few observations also of my time with the knife.

Sorry for the delays Bryan, have had some real drama in my life lately.

Thanks again for the experience of using one of your knives. I've had an interest in them for a long time!

10. hey Spaz !
    Do not apologize, the family is much more important than trying a new knife.
    take care of you.
    and there is no hurry, you send the knives when you want.

11. When Robert has finished playing with the knife, I think it will be time to draw a number.
    is it ok for everyone ? Does anyone have any other ideas?

12. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

:cool1

13. Nuts63

Nuts63 Founding Member

Is it to late to get in the drawing?

14. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Stopped by the post office at lunch, the knife is on it's way to Robert.

15. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Cool, I'll convert it to a bread knife when it arrives.

16. Very much interested in reading what you will think of this knife, Robert!

17. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

After hearing about what happened with Bryan, I've decided to not mess up his knife too much.

18. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

A little late in writing this but here goes.

The finish on this knife has a mesmerizing nashiji kurochi rustic look to it, I LOVED IT! The spine and choil were nicely polished and camphered on the corners. It was comfortable in every grip I used. Knife was stout and confident feeling.
    Can't say I was a big fan of the "two tiered" flat profile. The hump transition just seemed to be in the way, would prefer just a very gentle up sweep to the tip. The flat spot toward the tip just didn't offer any true benefit to me when using it. If anything it seemed to make some cuts more uncomfortable.
    It wedged slightly in taller hard produce but handled soft produce with ease. Liked the generous flat spot at the back 2/3 of the knife. The tip was a pleasure when drawing through produce or piercing something. This knife worked great trimming and slicing/portioning proteins.
    Overall I liked the grind but found that it would benefit to have been taken a mm or 2 higher on the blade. Might help with the wedging issue. The blade being as short as it is this wouldn't be to practical with this particular knife. The knife overall was a little short at the heel for my taste but is what probably made it more useful for proteins. I could see it having a place in my kitchen.

This is my first experience with this steel. The knife took to the stones very well and touched up easily. It felt harder toward the tip than at the heel. I can't speak to much on edge retention given the limited use I gave it but think it would be more than acceptable no more than it dulled during my use.

Thank you very much Bryan for giving me the opportunity to try your work! You have earned a fan and I'll be looking to pick up one of your knives in the future!

19. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Bryan, under the circumstances, perhaps an auction might be appropriate to make up some of your recent losses.

20. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Looks to be in pretty rough shape and the edge and tip thickness is suboptimal, I think.

I am debating and discussing whether to tweak to at least get the edge thin enough to be a reasonable cutter, or to send it back directly with minimal input from me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]