1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

My challenge to everyone on this site

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Christopher, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

I sure would like to see us step our game up in regards to posting, and new threads being created. I'm not saying this site has become stagnate, I just think that we could do better in regards to starting new topics and posting in general.

The more topics that are created, the more interaction that can take place, and activity usually brings more comments, content, possible new members, and better exposure in search engines, generally.

I'm as guilty of this as anyone here. I don't own any knives of real value, or exotic ways to sharpen them, but I thoroughly enjoy looking at what you guys/gals have. Having said that, I think there are a myriad of other subjects related to knives and the supplies that go with them, but not limited to those subjects, that we could start, and liven up the site activity.

I don't want to speak for Jim, so hopefully he can clarify anything I bring up, but I think we could treat this place a lot like the other shaving site, just focused on knives, primarily, instead of shaving. On the other site, there are many forums and posts that don't have anything to do with shaving, but they are a bigger site with more members, so there's more participation. I think the more interesting subjects we have, knife related or not, the more members might be inclined to join, post more and create subjects of their own.

I'm not demanding anything from anyone. I'm just looking for ways to increase the participation and membership on this great forum. I think anyone that has had the privilege of interacting with Jim can appreciate what he's trying to do here, and I'm hoping we can get this place heading in a direction that will help grow the site and at least get it so that it's a break even proposition for the owner(s).

I would be very interested in any ideas or thoughts that any of you have regarding this subject. I will do my best to help in any way I can.

Christopher

2. daveb

daveb Founding Member

There's a site for shaving?

3. yes, there's one site that can teach you how to shave arm hair with your kitchen knivesā€¦

4. Guess it's a bit quiet due to the relatively low number of members currently on here, it's early days and I am sure the numbers will rise over time, but you are correct that a some of us could make a bit more effort to get a thread running rather than waiting to reply to something.
    Maybe get a games section running so people can still post and have a bit of fun as not everyone has knife stuff to discuss regularly, something like the 'photo number tag' or 'guess this person' on B&B, not what the forum is mainly for but it might get the post count up and get more people checking in more often which is what we want.
    Will see if Jim has any objections to the games stuff before one is started, any other ideas guys?

5. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I'll try to start an interesting topic or two.

6. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

I'm just a boring person, how could I start interesting threads? :) I just find myself spending less time for cooking and knife work, I am in selling mode rather than buying mode (more by necessity, though), don't know a thing about metallurgy, and I don't want to double post here and on KKF too much. But I will see what I can come up with...

Stefan

7. I only frequent this forum as far as kitchen knife stuff goes...though I occasionally lurk at the other site. I also go out of my way to start posts when I have questions or commentary. I usually also double post on my Facebook page, but what I might do is start posting new topics here only, and linking the page over on my Facebook. Maybe this will help drive some more traffic this way.

Though, honestly...I don't have a whole lot of followers on my Facebook, lol. Something like 220. But if I can drag every damn one of them here, I will!!

:D

8. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

That's about 220 more than I have LOL.

9. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

Really? You've got to be kidding.

10. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

There are several shaving fora, actually. For a few years it was quite the popular fetish among hairy white guys.

11. daveb

daveb Founding Member

I can see it as a great opportunity for some ugly selfies. But pick up Norelco, turn on, make circles on face, turn off, a basis for a forum? Or is there debate on how often to clean it?:cc:cc:cc

12. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Only one shaving forum is worth your time.
    If you find them, it will be apparent very quickly.
    Lots to see on them. I couldn't believe how involved it can become.
    A Warning though!!
    A shaving forum, once it has it's hooks in you, can increase your AD* to the point of poverty. ..

*acquisition disorder

13. My Norelco doesn't shave nearly as good as it used to 2 years back. New shaving head costs around 100$ here. I guess there's some place for debatesā€¦ :srt

14. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I like switching to new blades for less than thirty cents....
    As to this forum, give it time. We have new members joining daily.

15. Catrentshaving

Catrentshaving Founding Member

Gotta admit that I'm mainly just a lurker here...don't have any decent knives to speak of...yet ;) One thing I do like about this forum is that everyone gets along and it stays quite friendly. One of the problems with those shaving forums people speak of is the behind the scenes backstabbing and shenanigans that can go on...so the biggest wish is to grow the membership but keep the vibe of this place. Keep people feeling welcomed even though they're not necessarily "knife guys" :) Some forums lose sight of that camaraderie.

16. I guess some of that goes on everywhere. There are only two forums I've ever been on that didn't have any of it. This one, and Don Fogg's Bladesmith Forum. That group is literally THE single most respectful (to each other, to new member, to everyone) group of adults I've ever met in my life, and I think it's mainly out of plain and simple respect for Don. This place has some of that vibe (probably thanks to Jim)...but also, most of the people know each other from elsewhere, and have been around each other for years. Hopefully the same respect will carry over to the new membership, as you've mentioned.

By the way...I'm not a 'knife guy' either...lol. At least not from an end user standpoint :). These guys have yet to make fun of me for it though!