1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

My biscuits, mama's way.

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Toothpick, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

You've seen the biscuits seconds before they get devoured so how bout seeing them being made?

First off you need a pan, of course. Pour a little oil in the pan, enough to coat it but if you have extra that's fine because you'll pour the excess in with the flower. So you kind of what some extra.

About this much
    pan1.jpg
    pan2.jpg

Now dump some self rising flour in a mixing bowl. How much? Well...how many biscuits do you want?
    I'd say maybe 3-4 cups? 5? How much does this look like?

I use this kind of flour because that what mama uses.
    IMG_0729.JPG
    1.JPG

Now pour in the excess oil from the pan and some milk. But not a ton of milk, just enough to get a good mix going. Remember...you can always add milk, but you can not take milk out. Hmmm...well I guess you can always add more flour if you get to much milk. But anyway

2.JPG

Mix it all up adding milk as needed. You don't want a runny mixture. It's not cake batter. Think more along the lines of Play Dough, or putty.

3.JPG

Now the fun part. Spread out some of that flour on your counter. This is where the biscuits take shape.

4.JPG

Make sure you rub your hands good with the flour so the dough doesn't stick to them and plop it down on the flour. Smash it out to flatten but not super flat if you want thick biscuits. I guess we all have our biscuit thickness preference. I like big ole biscuits so I leave the dough about 1 inch thick maybe?

5.JPG

Looks more like a half inch to 1 inch thick perhaps.? Heck just spread it and start cutting.
    6.JPG

Spread some flour over the top and start cutting. You can pretty much use any round thingy to cut with. I don't even know what this used to be but it's the biscuit cutter in it's new life.

7.JPG

Lay em in the pan as you go. The oil will pool on you but that's ok. When I lay the biscuits in I lay the first one right on top of the pool of oil and spread it around and then finish with it in the corner of the pan. Then continue until the pan is full. You will have to reshape the dough as you go. Keep your hands floured!

8.JPG

Preheat the oven to 400 and bake for roughly 20 minutes. When they look like this they are done.

IMG_0740.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG

Now you might be asking yourself why I don't have any exact measurements. Well the short answer is that's how mama taught me. The long answer is...that's how mama taught me. I've been eating mamas biscuits this way my entire life, and if by some accident I have kids they will eat them this way too.

Simple and delicious.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Toothpick

I guess I couldn't leave you without showing you one about to be devoured....

This is mama's homemade strawberry jam. My fridge is stocked.

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

3. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Never saw a biscuit recipe without shortening or something cut in. Practically health food.

4. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

no salt?

5. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

White Lily Does make a great biscuit Jason

6. Toothpick

Flour and milk. A little oil. I don't even think you need the oil, but that's what I do cause that's what mama does.

I like simple things. They stay fresh and fluffy for a few days. You can even freeze them and they are still great once thawed.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  7. Toothpick

I can't believe I said "flower" through this whole thread and you all let me!
    I think I got them all changed.

8. Well...it is called White 'Lilly'.

9. Toothpick

10. Homemade biscuits. Homemade strawberry jam. Thank You! This should be required reading for anyone with kids.