1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to the East Coast. Umm...Help?!

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by CrisAnderson27, Jan 3, 2016.

1. I know. Houston always seems to get dismissed as a place people want to live. I'm from Philadelphia And Houston has all the benefits of Phily ( even better bagels as well!!) without the problems like almost zero parking. Heck, people talk more about moving to Galveston which was the suicide capital of the US a couple of years ago!

2. butch

butch Founding Member

funny thing happened when were were on our way back from AL the kids wanted to know what food long john silvers served. when told fish/ seafood they both went gross how do they make that fast and good. we then had a little talk about how lucky were were to live where we can get both fresh seafood and great beef and that the mid west might get good beef the seafood is limited ) back to point if you can find a spot near I95 or 81 you can cover alot of ground and be at a "real" city maybe south VA so Richmond and DC are not to far and the coast is right there too

3. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

We could open carry in Kentucky before there was a Kentucky and still can. It was put in the state constitution the first time around.
    #5 on the NRA's most gun friendly states.

4. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Butch, you are doing something right if that was the kids first response. And that area of VA is looking really attractive to me as New Orleans fills up with Californians and New Yorkers.

Another hidden gem is Florence AL. It is a perfectly sized small city/big town that is a stones throw from Huntsville and Nashville.

There are a couple of new restaurants I need to get to over in Houston

5. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

You really do mean spring of 2017, not 2016?

Would be terrific (for selfish reasons) for you to relocate to PA, but sure sounds as if there is a strong bias for more southerly locales.

6. butch

butch Founding Member

after my trip to huntsville the land is much liek what is around here but the temps are higher in the summer and not that much warmer in the winter tho the winter is slightly shorter (jet stream is a bear ) we have less tornatos . this realy makes me think about out 10 year plan and WV vs PA for land costs

7. Give me a holla if you are going to come here. There have been multiple new and fabulous restaurant openings. I know a few of the chefs.;);):D:D

8. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Vote for Columbus, Ohio. I dreaded moving here four years ago but I'm loving it. Lots of business. Lots of industry. Lots of hospitals and healthcare. I'm within 40 of anything in Columbus and I live on the outskirts of town.
    Restaurants are a plenty and there is a decent knife market that people are realizing.

Plus I'd be over at your forge whenever possible soaking in all that good coal smell. (Or do you come your forge?) Anyways, Columbus airport connects a lot of stuff.
    Eight hours drive to Chicago, four hours to Pittsburgh, ten to NYC...

Can go on and on. But I'll leave it we are one of the fastest growing craft beer scenes in the US.

9. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Lot of quality knifesmith's here in Michigan......... Just sayin! :cool:

10. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Might be a wee might cold in the state up north for that dessert dweller :) Ohio is pushing it!

11. V1P

V1P Founding Member

How about Australia, so I don't have to pay shipping for knives.

You can change name to Koala Forge.

12. Haha or drop bear forge.

13. V1P

V1P Founding Member

Or kangaroo forge.

14. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I live at the intersection of GA-TN-NC. I lived in SW GA 8 years ago and Western SC 15 years ago. If I can answer any questions for you on those areas. I worked in SE GA for about 10 years too. Moving to Iowa next month though. If you are interested in an expensive fixer-upper let me know.

15. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

if you move to Michigan i can come visit... and laugh at you in the cold lol

16. LOL! You guys are awesome lol. The way it looks, we're focusing on the NC area for the time being, though the only thing ruling Australia out is the gun laws :D. From what I have been told though, there's some interesting incentives for first time out of state buyers in the land/housing market in NC. This of course isn't set in stone yet...just the area of the most current interest.

By the way, 'temperate' winters aren't a consideration. Having lived in the desert all (or most in my case) of our lives, we're both looking forward to appreciable amounts of snow lol...as are the kids ;).

@Wagner the Wehrwolf I may just take you up on some of that information my friend. I'd look into that fixer-upper...but currently 'expensive' isn't on the list of options lol.

17. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

might want to reach out to MuchoBucho (Dennis), David Smith and/ or Knifynerd (Chris) for some good NC info. Between the thee of them I think they cover 2 of the 3 main northern population centers. In that area you are always close to the benefits of the city and close to all the outdoor stuff as well. Plus real estate is still a bit less then further north.

18. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Haha... I am going to keep this on file for future laughs ..

[​IMG]

19. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

20. butch

butch Founding Member

our blower is a beast from the 70s made in USA in WI it eats everything (and weights 300+ lb) if it had better tires ir woudl be unstopable (thinking i will get it some new tires this year)