1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Moritaka KS gyuto (CKtG Forum Special) review

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Rick, May 29, 2014.

1. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

I haven't had a Moritaka gyuto since 2011 when I briefly had a 270 that had been rehandled by Marko Tsourkan, so I took the opportunity to pick this one up during the CKtG Forum sale.

[​IMG]

The knife had a lacquer-like protective coating which I removed with acetone so that it wouldn't flake off during use. The OOTB edge was very usable, although it wouldn't meet the standards of many on this forum. After a day of use, I put my own edge on it, though it really didn't need sharpening. The aogami super sharpened up easily.

The spine and choil are a bit sharp-edged, but aren't painful to use. Nothing some wet/dry sandpaper can't fix.

The handle was a bit disappointing on a knife in this price range, as the wood of the handle was proud of the ferrule. The rosewood d-handles that came on the older knives had much better fit and finish.

[​IMG]

In use, the knife felt very nimble, and although the height at the heel was a only 47 mm, I had no problem with finger or knuckle clearance. If you prefer taller gyutos, this one might feel a little cramped.

The grind, as in many wide-bevel blades, has an abrupt transition rather than a gradual one, which aids in food release but can produce wedging.

[​IMG]

As I expected from the grind, there was wedging, as the following video shows. Food release was good with very little stiction.

The blade road was unevenly ground, as I found when I tried to use a King 800 to bring out the contrast between the hagane and jigane, I am in the process of flattening it.

Heel area before flattening:

[​IMG]

Heel area after flattening (WIP):

[​IMG]

If you are a fan of the Masamoto KS profile, and are looking for a less expensive kuro uchi finish alternative, the Moritaka KS may be what you are looking for.

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Well done Rick. thanks

3. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Seems like a lot of "little issues", but once the tweaks are made, it appears to be a nice piece. The KU looks a bit light, and as though it'll just rub off over a short period of time. Would you agree? That's always been one of the attributes of Moritakas that I have had problems with.

4. Rick

Time will tell, though the kuro uchi doesn't look any lighter than Carter's. But I don't scrub my blades with a green scrubby, which seems to take off a KU finish quickly.

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

can anything be done short of sanding and refinishing the handle to ferrule misalignment?

6. Rick

Other than replacing the handle entirely, no.

7. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I wanted to pick one up on the sale but passed. I'm good on 240s for a bit. I thought of that sale everyday it was going on but just never followed through.

Good write up. Lots of little things as Tom said but you will have a great knife with a little TLC worth a lot more than you paid for it.

8. turbo

turbo Founding Member

Great review. I love the ks but not the edge retention this might be the answer