1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Mmmmm smoky bacon. A new project!

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by PierreRodrigue, Nov 3, 2014.

1. I do a lot of smoking, but have never built one. I do have a question. With the open vents top and bottom with no visible control means, is the burner your only temp control?

I suppose I am asking do you believe you may need air flow control as well?

2. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

I have airflow control with the vents. They are floor registers for heating/AC systems. There is a toggle on each connected to two louvers that are adjustable for airflow/exhaust. So that with an adjustable burner, controlling the temp shouldn't be problematic.

3. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I've got your 60 lbs of belly! But if I show up on your porch you can't put me in the smoker.

4. Ah, I see, thanks

5. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Best looking out house I've seen!

6. PierreRodrigue

Getting closer!! Finished and installed the doors, fascia trim and overhang. And covered the roof with cedar shakes. Outside got a coat of boiled linseed oil.
    [​IMG]

7. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Pierre.......... I AM SO DAMN JEALOUS OF YOU RIGHT NOW!!!

8. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Oh come on! You're gonna be banned any minute. Why? Because this is just to dang awesome for the internet to handle!

9. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

10. PierreRodrigue

Haha! I love your sig line! Oh yeah, I was off a tad on how much belly I had coming, it turned out to be 70 pounds! Oh dear Lord, what have I gotten myself into??

Thank you sir! Your room is ready when you are!

Thanks Jim! It looks pretty good. The cedar really popped with the oil treatment. Cant wait to see it outside in natural light!

11. Jim

FTFY!

12. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Awesome, Pierre, let us know how it works out for you. By the looks & sounds of it you should have no problems. Bottom line........ THAT IS ONE BEAUTIFUL DAMN SMOKER!

13. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Why am I not surprised that your smoker looks like a work of art? No doubt you'll get it working superbly. Looking forward to seeing the results.

14. PierreRodrigue

THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES!! Had an hour this morning so decided to get half of the fresh bellies I ordered, curing.

Going to go with a simple cure, salt, sugars, and curing salt. Additional flavoring may be added prior to smoking.

The set up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First slab, 4.98kg
    Will receive:
    112.5 gr salt
    40 gr dark brown sugar, 40 gr light brown sugar
    12 gr curing salt 6.4% nitrite
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now the waiting game. Now too get the smokehouse all wrapped up!!
    Second slab was done the same way. Third slab, I used half and half brown sugar, and pure maple sugar.

15. PierreRodrigue

Well here are the results!
    The bottom two feet got a couple layers of 1200* Kaowool insulation, then covered with 24 gauge stainless steel. I used stainless gas line for the inside portion. Wasnt sure how rubber would hold.
    [​IMG]
    Installed a dial gauge gas regulator.
    [​IMG]
    Sitting on the back deck
    [​IMG]

As for the bacon. I did 3 types. All sugar/salt cure
    One is just maple sugar/brown sugar/salt/cure. Number 2 is CBP onion and garlic, just a light dusting, and the third got a little molasses added. All three went in the smoke house, with a burner running (it was -37 C here with the wind chill when I smoked) Smoke was courteous of the AMNPS, with maple pellets.

I did 6 hours of smoke first night (it was 5:30 pm when I started) A rest in the cooler over night, then back in the smoker next day for another 14 hours.

Here are the bellies hanging
    [​IMG]
    A little thin blue smoke

And after the smoke!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the taste test of trimmed ends!
    [​IMG]

16. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

17. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Wow Pierre, it looks like you spread insulation all over your yard! I can almost taste the bacon. What's your verdict?

18. PierreRodrigue

The verdict.
    All three flavors were really good (OK, friends and family had some, and loved it! Couldn't believe it could be done at home) Trying to be impartial, the texture was firmer, and less fragile then commercially produced bacon. The salt and sugar balance was on. As for the added flavors, the maple was there, nice hint of maple, not overly sweet. The molasses was subtle, sweet but not, if that makes sense. The third with cracked black pepper, onion and garlic powder would make a fantastic "breakfast for supper" addition. Not a lot of sweet, but fragrant with the flavors present, brought out with the salt, and all brought together by the smoke. Smoke flavor was throughout, not a surface flavor, the cure penetrated thoroughly, all the meat was a rich pink, and stayed that color after frying (uncured pork, takes on a white/grey color seen in pork chops when fried.)

I was told when I started this, that producing my own bacon, would ruin me for commercial products. They were right! Everything about it is better, and it can be tailored to anyone's preference. It does take a bit of time, but isn't difficult at all. 95% of the time is waiting. Whether brined or dry cured, cold or hot smoked, I got to say, if your curious, try it. Its worth it.

19. Jim