1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Mellow Yellow

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Lucretia, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Saffron's blooming!

Saffronb.jpg

Saffrona.jpg

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

enough for some risotto milanese ;)

4. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Little goes a long way. Very cool Lucretia, how many corms did you plant?

5. butch

butch Founding Member

yess do tell aobut gardening it since its worth its weight in gold

6. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

This for sure!

7. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I got a little mesh bag of corms at the hardware store--not sure how many I started with, it's been a few years. Probably 10 or less. They were planted it small groups--just dig a hole 5 or 6 inches deep and put them in pointy end up--this clump might have had a few corms to start with. They've multiplied for sure--not as fast as regular crocuses, but we've had more saffron than we use the last couple of years. They come up in the fall & bloom--the leaves hang around for a while, then disappear. We have really dry summers, so they get to dry out for a month or so. I neglect them and they're happy. No food, no extra water. We just forget they're there until we get these pretty purple flowers in the fall.

May have to try some risotto milanese. I think there's some arborio rice in the pantry. I like saffron in grits with tomatoes, too.

8. butch

butch Founding Member

have to look into if they can live outside on the MD/PA boarder (the zone i am in is kind of funny )

9. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I had no idea the flowers were so pretty for saffron! Nice work Lucretia!

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

It's time to plant them now. Here's some info on growing them: http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/harvesting-saffron-crocus.html They're easy to grow and fairly inexpensive, so definitely worth trying.

Just make sure that you get saffron crocus, Crocus Sativus, and not Autumn Crocus (Colchicum autumnale). The Colchicum is poisonous.

11. butch

butch Founding Member

great looks like me being zone 7 i can try this out

12. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

I have a feeling they would grow out here as well, but I don't have a good garden patch. There is a patch I should be able to use, but the family below us decided to get a dog, keep it outside, and totally neglect it. So, the poor dog is digging up the ground out of pure boredom...

Stefan

13. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

Very cool. Thanks for reminding me of this amazing flower. I've wanted to plant crocuses in my yard for some time. When I was in grad school in The Netherlands, it was amazing seeing the spring crocuses pop through the remaining snow and bloom. I just ordered 500 squirrel resistant corms for my front yard. I'll probably have carpal tunnel after this weekend.

k.

14. chinacats

chinacats Founding Member

Awesome, once again I'd rather be eating at your place Lucretia!

15. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

Cool idea, thanks for sharing Lucretia!

16. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

Are you growing any fall/winter salad greens?
    We just started cooling off and getting rain beginning of the month here.
    This is my first time planting a fall garden and it is doing great so far.

17. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

No winter garden, unfortunately. Hubby wants to retire, so I've got to get the house ready to sell. Finally cooling off a little here--it's been too hot to work in the yard. Glad yours is doing well! (Tomatoes were underwhelming again this year.)

18. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

Sell the house, then what?
    .......back to Florida?

19. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

No way! I'd rather not have to chose for governor between the king of medicare fraud and the man who needs a portable cooling system for his nether regions. I'm going to head north and show up on Pierre's front porch and let him adopt me.

20. butch

butch Founding Member

sad to her abot your maters we pulled over 100 lb of roma off 3 plants. im sure it was beginners luck