1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

meat hammer

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by butch, Mar 20, 2014.

1. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

It's not a meat hammer but I wouldn't mind something in this pattern and handle ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395355086.968157.jpg

2. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Definitely interested in seeing where this leads to :)

3. butch

butch Founding Member

talked to sam today and he is goingot work out how to make them am i thinking right that about the fact that the larg flat should be about 3 inch round or square with rounded corners and the smaler one 1.5-2 inch head ?

4. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

I think those sizes are good but for sure go with round if possible and not just rounded corners.

5. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

I am using something like this. My mom was using it and her mom as well. Super old stuff. Just need new handle.

[​IMG]

6. butch

butch Founding Member

was that made for the farm/kitchen or an ax modded to have a tenderizing head and the sharp side for bones and the like. i think a nice cocobolo handle woudl look great in that

7. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

This is definitely kitchen stuff. As you said one can use it to chop the bones or tenderise meat. Once I used it to chop some wood:)

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Greg
    That is a very interesting tool. What is the metal that is still all shiny after at least three generations of use? Clearly it is to be used closer to the butchering than I get involved with.

9. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

I can't wait to see what Butch comes up with!
    He always knocks it out of the park!

10. butch

butch Founding Member

shoult the smaller side be textured or smooth just smaller ?

11. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I would vote smooth. I hate the textured ones. Not sure what purpose they serve other than to punish dish washers.

12. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

13. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Butch
    Any progress on the project?

14. The grumpy old guy at Bridge Kitchenware was Fred Bridge. He was well known for hanging up on customers who called with stupid questions. Regularly told annoying shoppers he wished they would shop at Bloomingdales.

Fred died either just before or just after 911. Don’t remember now. His son Steve now runs the business. They moved over to New Jersey after 911. As of January 2014 they are internet only. They do offer some “by appointment” visits to their showroom but no longer a traditional retail shop. Kind of a shame since Fred’s was the first retail cookware store in the US. Even before Chuck Williams of Williams-Sonoma fame.

Jim’s oversized expresso tamper style pounder is Italian in origin. Usually referred to as a Veal Pounder. Most often chrome plating over cast iron. This style is also nice for veal or chicken. It too is Italian in origin and chrome plated cast iron.

[​IMG]

The ones with teeth are really only suitable for pork or beef that needs a little tenderizing as well as flattening. They are mostly German in origin. Think making Wiener Schnitzel out of less than tender cuts of pork.

15. butch

butch Founding Member

i just asked the guy last night how it was going and he is still workingout the how to make properly that wil not brake the bank