1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Me want to offer help

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by bieniek, Mar 4, 2014.

1. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

[Wife and daughter are taking off for holidays, next week wednesday]

To celebrate that, I could help any wanting member with knifes maintenance.
    For me, it would be a chance to work on steel Ive never seen before, you get a free thinning/etching/ possible polishing - if me bothers.
    Mostly interested of course in things handmade, single bevels?

The only thing you cover is postage.

2. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Would take you up on this but afraid I don't have anything too interesting...just a knife or two that should cut better than they do, and I haven't worked out a solution for them.

3. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Very nice of you, Mike.

4. Birnando

Birnando Founding Member

I've never seen anyone work so dilligently, yet so comfortable, on the stones while thinning/sharpening, Mike;)
    Whoever takes you up on it will get a well pampered knife back, that's for darn sure.

5. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

All I have to send you is a Global Nakiri that I think is too thick. I'd love for you to alter it however you like, but I don't have anything nicer/more interesting to offer you (yet), Mike.

6. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

I do have a couple of knife who would like a better touch than mine... sending you a PM

7. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

You are too kind B, thank you very much.

8. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Endless conversations about Global between me and Maxim, hehe he hates them. All Iam saying is they are OK/decent as long as sharpened. And the nakiri, if thats the one with flat edge, tall and with thick handle, I actually like
    Chipped/blunt blade, does not matter how good a producer, gets you nowhere.

If you think its too thick, then I think to the grinder it goes. I could to that, but just to be fair I have to mention, global is that little something I would not bother polishing.

Chanop, I might not be the most polite and politically correct member on the board but I sure want to give to the community too.

9. Andrew

It's this knife. It isn't chipped or terribly dull. It just feels like a wedge compared to my Global 8" Chef and Global Santoku (my only other two Global knives). In fact, it feels similar to my 8" Messermeister.

I'll send you a PM to keep from cluttering this thread.

10. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Bieniek, I can't remember, are you in Norway or Denmark?

11. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Norway.
    Its Maxim who occupies Denmark ;)
    Now, you must have something good to be asking ? :D

12. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Lets just say I am new to single bevel knives and I am fairly certain I messed up my Doi yanagiba in an attempt to sharpen/ mirror polish it. Would love for someone who knows what they are doing to take a look at it.

13. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

OK, then what are you waiting for? Sending you a PM.

Andrew, never got any msg from you

14. Andrew

Sorry about that. I got distracted with work and seasoning some new pans. It's probably not worth sending a Global to Norway. I'll probably just end up selling it as is and buy a Masakage Yuki Nakiri. Thanks for the offer to help, though!