1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

May is National Salad Month!

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Toothpick, May 12, 2015.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

2. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Salads are something I'm just starting to get into and I'm hopping on the salad-in-a-jar bandwagon. Pretty cool idea since it's a pain to prepare just one salad for myself.

I haven't really anything interesting to add for recipes since I am really just working with the basics of what's available here in Taiwan.

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

4. I'm at the salad section at the resto where i work and made bucketfuls (literally) of salads expecting a busy salad bar but wasn't as busy as i thought.
    Made some classics, nothing too fancy:
    - Tomato, basil & mozzarella
    - Cucumber, mint & yoghurt
    - Beetroot & orange
    - Puy lentil & carrot
    - Moroccan cous-cous with roast veg.
    - Veg. Nicoise
    - Coleslaw
    - Classic Caesar (no chicken, bacon or things like that)
    Few herbs and dressings here & there as well.

5. ^^^^^^

I'll throw bacon, boiled eggs, cheese, croutons, or whatever else is handy into a salad lol...but Jim has the bare necessities listed.

Including the ribeye :D.

6. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

My first salad in a jar was reasonably nice, but maybe a bit too elaborate to be practical. Was stacked from the bottom:
    • honey mustard dressing
    • carrot
    • cherry tomatoes
    • cucumber
    • red/yellow capsicum
    • chick beans
    • corn
    • avocado
    • some more carrot
    • a little shredded romaine
    I need to figure out some simpler arrangements and maybe use a smaller jar (a quart mason jar is a little big for a single sitting).

Still, the jar idea is pretty cool, and it's nice to prep 3-5 days of salads in one sitting.

7. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Salad in a jar? That's new to me.

Admittedly I've never been a salad guy. "soup or salad?" I'll take the soup.

I always take the simple route. Lettuce and Italian dressing.
    I have had a salad once or twice with chicken, shredded cheese, ranch and bacon bits.....but that's a meal, not a healthy salad. Tasty though!

8. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Love any salad that has potatoes and bacon in it.

Stefan

9. butch

butch Founding Member

salad bar in town is about as wild as i go (i dont eat alot of rabbit food) will be eating more when i can walk ou to the garden and get freash greens.
    spring mix
    carrots
    red beet and redbeet egg
    red onion
    green olives
    red cabbage
    bacon (real) bits
    sunflower seeds
    croutons
    and last but not least french or catalina dressing
    normally right about a pound of "salad"

lets stopp all this crappy green eats and lets see the taco and steak salad builds

10. butch

butch Founding Member

11. That looks freakin delicious Butch!!

I sometimes take and fry chicken breasts in olive oil and butter with Tuscan type seasonings and a dash of Montreal steak seasoning. Just before they're done I pull them off and cut them into chunks, then return them to the heat for a minute or two...just enough to finish them. I then turn the heat off and strain the chicken (leave some of the oil)...putting it into its own bowl. After that, I toss in a few cups of shredded mozzarella and shake/stir it all together. The heat from the cooling chicken slightly melts the mozzarella and makes it stick to the chicken. This ends up being my base for a seriously amazing chicken/spinach salad...usually with mushrooms, croutons, and greek yogurt ranch lol.

12. Butch that is Awsome. Take an unhealthy meal, stack it up on top of each other and disguise it as a salad!
    Genious.
    The fries on top really cracks me up.
    "Ohh that's nice but damn it if it's not unhealthy enough, throw some fries on it stat! While your at it add some bacon ! "

13. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor