1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Masamoto ks profile honyaki

Discussion in 'Tansu Knives' started by chefcomesback, Aug 10, 2016.

1. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

One of the knives I have made for the Sydney show , it's a 240mm honyaki gyuto forged from blue 2 with the iconic masamoto ks profile. When Huw lent me his ks I liked the profile quite a bit however lack of convex in grind drove me crazy for the time I have used it . Every dense item stuck on the blade regardless of cutting technique and speed I have applied . And I have never been a big fan of knives with white steel that see much contact with board so I decided to make a honyaki gyuto in blue steel and with my asymmetric grind .

[​IMG]

Getting a good hamon is quite difficult even for many experienced japanese makers , I have to say I am quite happy with the results
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Handle is s shaped stabilised buckeye burl with nickel spacers and perfect piece of stabilised blond horn with no streaks what so ever .
    It is 244mm at the edge and 49mm tall , weighs 223 grams , balance point at makers mark bit infront of emoto .

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016