1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Martell Petty Finally Got Some Use

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, May 26, 2015.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

And the picture to prove it

IMG_20150525_195411.jpg

Man this O-1 stuff is reactive huh. I may have to see what I can do with some mustard lol.

I wanted something simple so I took some cooked rotini pasta, added some ham steak I had, easy for the petty to cut through like nothing, added half an onion, which thr blade whipped through like nobodies business. The onions during the chop piled up two swipes high before falling off the blade. Then some asparagus got asulted and annihilated. Again these went through like it should... This thing is wicked sharp amd xut so cleanly i cut down on a piled uo bunch and the cut pieces again piled up two cuts worth high.

I added some cream of broccoli, and pepper, topped with a marbled chedder and baked the whole shebang for 30 minutes.

IMG_20150525_201951~2.jpg

So what did I think about the knife over all ?

IMG_20150525_235527~2.jpg
    (Hiromoto 240 Gyuto on top)
    In spite of its tiny size, and really light weight, the blade cut right through all the onions and asparagus i tossed at it just as well as any of my other knives, Food clung to the blade more so then some of my other blades but with such a low profile it's not that big of a deal. This blade I think ill find myself grabbing when I have a mixes bag of smaller tasks and dont want to bust out two or three of ita bigger brothers. I was shocked at how quickly the patina colouring came to the blade when cutting onions, looked really pretty before I oiled the blade to put away.

I am happy with this little no nonsense knife. Its functional art on the board that will outcut and out task any knife in any family or friends kitchen (accept maybe one I gave as a gift to a friend at xmas).

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. James

Love to hear how Jim and the other two are making out with theirs

3. Gorgeous little knife, and I'm in envy mode on that board lol.

4. James

I love that board, so glad I pulled the trigger before it was to late. one of the final inventory boards before the same on the Boardsmith. mahogany board, and i think the pick of the litter when they got the site.

LOVE that board, have I said that lol

5. Absolutely. Love that rich color!! Dave's knife looks great on it too :).

6. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

FTFY! :)

Good stuff James! Don't mustard it. Just use it and clean it. Keep it oiled. It looks funny now but it will tell a better story later without a forced patina!

7. James

well Its not a rehandle, Thats the first and only one it has ever had

8. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

The Hirmoto ;)

Letting Chris know Dave worked on both knives in the picture.

9. Ahhh! Yes, its gorgeous as well lol.

10. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Both are beauties. 9onions are a very true test for me. If I regrind/thin a knife and it sucks for lateral onion cuts, I keep going until it tackles then with ease.
    I trust Dave's work to be some of the best out.

11. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

12. James

It was good lol, three days worth of dinner so I havent had a chance to use the knife again since. But that should be corrected soon enough