1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Martell Knives Gallery

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Here's a set of Martell CPM154 knives with AZ Ironwood handles with marbled buffalo ferrules....

P1010004.JPG P1010005.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010015.JPG P1010024.JPG P1010026.JPG P1010030.JPG P1010032.JPG

2. Dave Martell

Here are Sam's knives that he's been waiting for YEARS to receive! [​IMG]

I was supposed to make a cleaver as well as these knives and kept putting this order off because of this. I recently had to be honest with myself and admit that I'm not ready to do this yet so I moved on with making the knives. I wish I could have been more insightful a few years ago though, Sam would have had these knives for a long time at this point, I made him wait unnecessarily, and for this I'm truly sorry.

Now I hope that Sam will like what I've done here and not regret having dealt with me on these knives.

A big thank you to you Sam for being so patient and understanding over the years. [​IMG]

Knife specs...

Sujihiki - 240mm in O1 @ Rc60-61 with CA buckeye burl, African blackwood, and nickel silver spacers.
    (BTW, this is likely the last knife I will ever use buckeye burl on! I made a promise to Sam to use this wood way back when and that's the only reason why I used this pain in the ass wood here & now)

Nakiri - 180mm in O1 @ Rc60-61 with two toned amboyna burl, African blackwood, and copper spacers.

P1010008.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010018.JPG P1010030.JPG

3. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Beautiful work again, Dave!

4. Dave Martell

5. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Darn sexy sir. :cool:

6. Dave Martell

7. Post a pic of you instead of knives. We will see who is the sexier.:rolleyes

8. Dave Martell

My wife just shot this picture of me playing in the sprinkler...sorry I couldn't find my shirt

[​IMG]

9. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

More! More! Dave breaks the Internet!

:pop

10. Nice to see Dave toning it down and keeping content suitable for public viewing

11. wow. Dave. Thank a lot for this picture of you. I wanted to buy one of you knife, but my wife was serving me the "one-more-knife-that-we-do-not-need-and-that-is-expensive". Now I have a great argument.

12. Dave Martell

13. Dave Martell

Here's another long awaited gyuto from the way back list finally completed for Tamlin. Originally this was ordered in O1 as that's all I was working with at the time but now I have CPM-154 as well so Tamlin was able to change the order to this steel instead.

Tamlin, I'm sorry for the very long wait I put you through and appreciate your support & patience during this time.

Dave

Stats:
    Blade Length - 240mm
    Steel - CPM-154
    Hardness - Rc61-62
    Handle - Amboyna Burl & African Blackwood

P1010001.JPG P1010004.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010017.JPG P1010022.JPG

14. Dave Martell

Here is Dan's 160mm petty made from O-1. It's a hidden tang style western handle made from maple burl and African blackwood. I really like this little knife a lot. Dan basically left the handle wood choice to me saying that he wanted "durable, good looks, darkish, something with grain or figure, natural tones, and an interesting appearance". I picked these woods based on his wants and I think I got some of that down here.

The maple is some incredible stuff. I had this particular (very small) block sitting around for awhile waiting for a petty to come along. The blackwood is unusual, I had only this small piece left over from another handle, it's brown (with red tones) vs the normally seen blacker variety, I liked it paired with this maple so I went with it.

Dan has been waiting for this knife for many years. I want to apologize to you Dan for waiting so long to receive this knife from me and thank you for your patience and understanding.

P1010012.JPG P1010018.JPG P1010023.JPG P1010025.JPG P1010029.JPG P1010034.JPG

15. rogue108

rogue108 Founding Member

I love Curly Maple and I think you nailed it again Dave.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

16. Dave Martell

17. Why are you not a fan of buckeye Burl? I have had problems with it as well even after K &G stabilization.

18. Dave Martell

Sounds like we're dealing with the same problem. I often joke that buckeye burl is just pretty looking compacted dust. :D

19. Dave Martell

Here's another long waited on knife going back a few years. This customer is a great guy, most of you probably know him, certainly know of him for sure. John was one of my earliest Martell knife supporters, taking a huge leap of faith in ordering knife #9 (which might have actually been suji #1 as well). He's been very patient with me all of this time waiting on this knife and I can't thank him enough for this. I am, however, sorry to have made him wait and hope that he gets joy from this new knife coming his way.

160mm petty
    CPM-154 @ RC61-62
    AZ Ironwood
    Buffalo Horn (honey blond)

This block of ironwood is really something. I had initially bought this a long time ago and put it aside for a special project and forgot about it. John asked for nice quality (even offered to pay more for it) but luckily I found this one and decided that the special project was here. [​IMG]

P1010001.JPG P1010003.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010022.JPG P1010024.JPG P1010027.JPG P1010034.JPG

20. Dave that petty is freaking beautiful!!!