1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Martell Knives Gallery

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

180mm Nakiri

Steel - O1

Hardness - Rc60-61

Handle - modified oval wa style using blue byed Oregon maple burl (from Burl Source) along with buffalo horn ferrule and copper spacers. *Note - the wood is technically blue but leans more to the purple side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dave Martell

270mm Sujihiki

The customer wanted a slightly shorter version of my 300mm sujihiki and went with a 270mm (this size is pretty nice actually) as well as he wanted a wa handle that wasn't loud and more traditional looking. He gave me free reign (thanks!!!) to try out a new design for the handle. It's an oval that has flats on the ass end sides to keep the knife from rolling. This is the opposite of the way I did the last two oval wa handles, I'm trying to figure out which is better. On this one I had it looking really bad ass with crisp lines on the flat side edges but that felt awful in the hand so I rounded the edges over going for function over appearance. I had a slightly different idea in my mind before starting this handle but I got close enough for the first one. I'd love to hear what you folks think about this as well as the other style on the previous two knives seen above.

The steel is O-1 @ Rc60-61. The handle is bird's eye maple (from Herr Keller's stash) paired with buffalo horn ferrule and nickel silver/G10 spacers.

Martell_wa_sujihiki17.JPG Martell_wa_sujihiki19.JPG Martell_wa_sujihiki22.JPG Martell_wa_sujihiki28.JPG Martell_wa_sujihiki29.JPG Martell_wa_sujihiki33.JPG Martell_wa_sujihiki34.JPG

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

5. Dave's knives have that that appealing clean lean athletic look similar to Marko's.

6. Dave Martell

7. Dave Martell

Here's a 180mm santoku with Buckeye burl and buffalo handle. The customer purchased this to give as a wedding gift and requested marking the knife with the couples' names & wedding date. I hope that they get many years of good use out of it. [​IMG]

Martell_santoku_2.JPG Martell_santoku_10.JPG Martell_santoku_13.JPG

8. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

9. Because you would be tempted to keep it.

10. Dave Martell

11. Dave Martell

12. Dave Martell

Martell 160mm Wa-Petties

Steel - O1 @ Rc60-61

Handles - Spalted Hackberry, Dyed Buckeye Burl, Redwood Burl, & Curly Hawaiian Koa. All with African Blackwood ferrules.

P1010002.JPG Martell Wa Petties Back.JPG View attachment 5943 P1010003.JPG P1010010.JPG P1010011.JPG

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  13. Dave Martell

14. Dave Martell

15. Dave Martell

16. Dave Martell

Curly Hawaiian Koa 160mm Petty

*This koa has some of the best chatoyance (movement/character) that I've seen yet it looks so flat and dull in the pictures - such a shame.

P1010051.JPG P1010053.JPG P1010054.JPG P1010056.JPG P1010058.JPG

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  17. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

That buckeye one is mine ?

18. Dave Martell

Jim has first dibs. :D

19. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Well he better hurry up and pick lol, I thought he was taking the spalted one, If not ill take that one... if he does that dyed one is next on my list. I dont think I would be unhappy with any of those though. They are all superb