1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Mareko Maumasi on Forged In Fire Aug. 3rd @10pm on History

Discussion in 'Maumasi Fire Arts' started by Mareko Maumasi, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

2. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

oh no, I did not see this thread until just now, and did not realize the episode aired last night. Sorry you did not win! I look forward to watching a rerun soon.

3. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I've been avoiding this site until I was able to watch the show. I like being kept in the dark until I'm able to see it myself. Your blade was badass! Sucks that the handle gave a little, as you clearly outdid your competitor in every other category. Seemed like a cool guy, but you showed the skill you've got, and I can't wait to find the time (and extra cash) to get up there and see your shop in person. I look forward to seeing more of your work, and this just shows your knowledge and craftsmanship.

4. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I think Doug Marcaida was as po'd as some of the rest of us. He clearly thought Mareko's sword was better.

That strength test fixture really was a piece of crap as far as representing loads the sword would see in actual use. A metal clamp lined with rubber at each end of the handle imparts entirely different loads than those you'd see in a hand-held blade--probably contributed to the bend in the handle. A different fixture might not affected the outcome of the contest, but this was a BAAAAAAD test.

Amazing, beautiful sword, Mareko. And it performed like a beast.

I think they really gave it to the other guy because they could pronounce his name and spell it right on the check. (And how are things in "Turnwater" these days? Sheesh.)

5. They did the same thing in the first episode with my good friend Rich Greenwood. The testing is so subjective (the guy slashed with one sword, then stabbed and ripped with the other?), and up for so much interpretation by the judges, that you may as well roll a dice as to who will win. Kinda ridiculous. I almost wonder if they're doing it to spark people to TALK about the show. I mean, bad press is still press, the more people talk (good or bad) the more will watch...and they can always turn it around once their numbers for viewership are built up.

Anyhow...good run of it Mareko...you clearly had the edge on this one and should have won.

6. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

After seeing the way Mareko's sword took out the dummy, I have to believe he made King Arthur's sword, too:

7. Holy smokes!! Thank you everyone! It was a really intense experience and I'm glad I made to the end as well.

@Toothpick, It was sweltering in that damn studio! I was wondering if the place doubled as a hot yoga-laties studio after we were out there at night. Whiskey on the rocks and a rocking chair was exactly what I needed at that point! Thanks for rooting for me!

@Isaac, Please ask away!

@MotoMike, " to a ridiculous extreme" and "so far from your norm" are exactly right. I would say 90% of the knifemaking work I did for the show, I had never done before. I was learning how to do almost everything for the first time, as I was doing it for the camera. Just a little bit stressful. They neglected to mention that the glue in my competitor's handle had come loose and the dang thing was rattling around on the tang. I will say that they were amazingly authentic in their representation of me on the show and that to me is more valuable to me than winning.

@knyfeknerd, The guys I was competing against were all really great guys! We banded together immediately, and especially after the first round of competition. I'm very happy for Jamie's win. He's my friend, a really great guy, and a very talented maker. Thank you for you kind words sir.

@WarrenB, I think the only place it's avilable for folks outside the USA is through Amazon.com.

@Twistington, Thanks for your support! I really appreciate it!

@mark76, Torrent? What's a torren? ;)

@Jim and @Cheeks1989, That seems to be the motto for the show from all the people that have contacted me. Also, thank you @Jim for all the awesome shout-outs on the social medias!

@WildBoar, I do too. There was such a great turn out for the viewing party, that I missed about half the show, plus it was so damn loud in the bar I could barely hear a thing. Let us know what you think.

@Taylor, Thank you sir. I would love to have you up at the shop! Any and all of you for that matter really! I was overly concerned with the tang being tough, which to me means, definitely not going to break. They also told us that as long as the blades made it through the testing, then it was going to be a beauty contest from there out. We both built beautiful weapons, and we both had issues with our handles. The judges made their choice and it is what it is.

@Lucretia, Doug was F-ing pissed! After all was said and done. I was sitting and chatting with the other judges and Doug interjected two times to say that he thought it was bullspit (the more grownup version of course) that I lost. I think the "Turnwater" misspelling is hilarious. Nowhere in this great green state is there a place called Turnwater. Clearly, or maybe not so clearly, someone has a serious case of the chicken-scratch.

@CrisAnderson27, Thank you for your kind words sir. It will be interesting to see what comes of some of the "controversy and drama" of the show. I think they got an ok for a second season, but it still isn't clear as to what the plan is for it. We have a group on FB and Rich seems like a really nice guy. I hope it get to meet him some day.

Thank you all for enduring my self-induced Q&A. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have, and again thank you all for your incredible support.

Kindest regards,

Mareko

8. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Just got to view the video (getting crushed at the new job) and I call total BULLSPIT!!! (the more grown up version, of course. ;)) How can you give the win to someone whose sword you can't even keep a grip on??? NONSENSE! Great job, Mareko, in my opinion, YOU GOT ROBBED! :fp2

9. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

10. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

11. Thanks for your extensive reply, Mareko! Great to read how it was from your perspective.

That's the other place it's available for folks outside the USA :) .

12. Tried to buy it on Amazon today, but it said I needed a credit card issued by US Bank. Thought torrents worked like a charm.

13. I tried the same. If I hadn't watched out very carefully, Amazon would have sold me a Prime subscription, something that's completely useless in Europe. Now I trust Amazon slightly less...

14. I actually own a Prime subscription already, but it doesn't seems to allow me watching any episodes of Forged in Fire for free. Other videos from prime section are accessible if you are using some US VPN service.

And to keep things on topic, @Mareko Maumasi I think you did a great job there, and the judges decision sounds really strange to me. And that silly phrase in the end: "Mareko, your blade did not make the cut". WUT?!

15. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Mareko just watched the episode you were on ( was just aired in down under ) I have no idea how the hell you lost ? Your sword cut better , was straight , handle proved better grip and .... You lost ??? Anyway , I am sure it was a good exposure for you . Your competitor looked like a decent guy but I am shocked even with my limited knife making experience the lack of the knowledge or lack of common sense by some contestants .
    You did very well , congrats

16. Where did you watch it Mert?

17. chefcomesback

A and E on Foxtel , have set it to record the series too .

18. @chefcomesback, Thank you for your kind words. My competitor is a great guy, and I'm proud to call him my friend. No matter what I think, ultimately it comes down to the judges. In hind sight, the whole experience and opportunity for exposure is what it's all about. Yes, winning the $10k would have been really nice, but I'll say that being portrayed as genuinely as I was, is much more valuable to me than winning any day. Thanks for cheering me on! What else did you think? It was weird for me to see and hear myself on TV.

19. chefcomesback

Mareko ,
    I don't know what is been edited , left out from original content but I can say people who I taught they were cool from the first few minutes seemed really nice guys at the end . Same thing applied to the opposite , not so much in favour though. Very happy for you ,
    Mert