1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Making Wootz

Discussion in 'Caublestone Cutlery' started by Daniel Cauble, Nov 28, 2018.

1. I have been a busy bee. Unfortunately metal research and practice takes time away from knife making. It serves the act of in the end, but theres usually a long time of figuring things out when developing skills with steel. In my case, steel making. My latest crucible steel ingot made from my orishigane melt material, forged correctly to induce watering pattern of cementite.

Samples of this ingot, and various steels i make are currently being tested for composition, and viewed under a SEM (scanning electron microscope), to be scrutinized bu engineers to prove or disprove the hypothesis of a few students at a lab.

My own findings are that the steel is at least 1
    6% C.

Also, keep in mind that from start of forging to knife blade took around 40 man hours at heat, with precise control of temperatures at all times, with precise blows from the power hammer. Any deviation from small temp. Windows or strength of forging can result in broken and cracked steel, or no pattern at all.

20181027_000311.jpg
    20181026_231744.jpg
    20181028_002906.jpg
    20181116_215332.jpg

20181124_202410.jpg

Attached Files:

2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

That is some love in the forge!
    40 hrs at heat seems so long... but the proof is in the hand.

4. For any other material this is true. For crucible steel, it is simply part of the process. Cant really go any faster, lol.

5. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Epic. Thank you for taking the time to post.

6. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member