1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Macon Bacon, Rd 2....

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by zwiefel, Sep 13, 2015.

1. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Following the thread that Dardeau setup for me....more bacon...but with spices this time....

Star anise, cumin, coriander, kashmiri chile powder, black peppercorns
    [​IMG]

Toasted and ground
    [​IMG]

added to the salt, brown sugar, and pink salt...
    [​IMG]

Then topped with white sugar...a little less than last time, trying to go a little more savory...
    [​IMG]

Mix until uniform in color...
    [​IMG]

A brand new 10# slab of bacon from the best bacon produce in my knowledge: Petit Jean Meat Company. This piece is both better and cheaper than the slab I got from Central Market in DFW.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is just something about pork and sepia...
    [​IMG]

or even pork and red...
    [​IMG]

Cut into approx 3.5# slabs for vacuum packing...
    [​IMG]

Add a thick layer to each side of each slab....
    [​IMG]

Ready to cure for 10 days or so in the fridge...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Looking Good!

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

10 days.... but I want some now.... thats got to be the hardest part

4. j'ai faim ! :D

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

6. zwiefel

OK, next phase completed.

After air-drying for a couple of days...
    [​IMG]

It goes into the smoker. I was really quite surprised at the effect that air-drying had on the rate of smoke absorbption. The browing you see in this photo happened in under 5 minutes.
    [​IMG]

And the finished product. will serve with breakfast on saturday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm quite pleased with my result--though I haven't tasted it yet. This has definitely stoked my fire to move on to my next charcuterie project: tasso.

7. Jim

Danny what a great report! Did you wash the bacon before air drying it? It does look like it in the photos.

I am looking forward to your taste test.

8. zwiefel

Yes, all slabs were thoroughly rinsed to remove all traces of the cure on the surface. One of the surprises of that was how much of the spice mix had migrated into the fat...I wasn't expecting the effect to be this strong.

[​IMG]

Also, there are 3 different recipes at work here, so going to do a double-blind tasting to see what distinctions can be tasted and which seems preferable.

9. Jim

Looking forward to hearing it! Perhaps next batch try one with molasses instead of the white sugar.. much more complex I found.

10. zwiefel

what is the ratio between the two? I can do weight or volume. Also, which kind of molasses is preferred.

11. Jim

I did it by volume but don't know if that's 'correct', but it sure worked ok.
    The darker the better.

12. zwiefel

1:1 by volume? wouldn't that make a very very sticky and wet cure? Mine is roughly 1/2 sugar...

13. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

14. Jim

Volume to sugar 1-1 only.. I don't think its wetter than when the salt and sugar starts to pull the moisture out of the meat.

Here it is washed and resting pre smoke..

[​IMG]

15. zwiefel

yeah, intuitively that seems correct to me...I was talking about the cure itself though, and the difficulty of transferring to the container with the bellies.