1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Low grit hone options

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by Chris24, Jan 28, 2016.

1. I'm looking at options for low grit stones around the 120 - 220 grit mark.

I have been grinding away at a new knife (14' Old Hickory) as I wanted to thin it out a bit.
    It needed a lot of steel removed and my 220 grit Norton just don't cut it. Well that's a bit harsh it does remove the steel but it also dishes very quickly. It is almost there but the stone will be toast when I'm done.

Open to suggestions on honing options to remove a lot of steel fast.

2. Aroma 140.

3. Atoma 140, of course.

4. I use automotive sandpaper on linen, P120 to start with. Fast with carbons. Only edge trailing, use a hard rubber or soft wooden support.

5. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Cheap 30 inch belt sander and a bucket of water.

6. I've been thinking of one of those. How well do they wear?

I may just have a play with that. It's only a few dollars worth to test.

That would work well but it will not get used much by me.

7. If you don't care about coarseness, low grit silicon carbide on a rough concrete paver will do wonders lol.

8. Now that's rough, I fell for the knife. :(

Although I have been considering a Sigma power ceramic stone #120. The description is not far off a concrete paver. LOL

This very large ceramic stone looks like a black brick, and to touch, feels about the same.

Useful for gross metal removal to correct damage to blade edges or as a stone to restore the clogged surface of finer stones, this stone is unique due to it being so hard and so coarse.

Use with caution...

205x75x50mm. Supplied with #36 SiC loose grit for flattening and conditioning.

9. Asteger

Asteger Founding Member

Love this. 'Aroma 140: the new eau de cologne des knifemakers japonais'

Yes, Atoma 140 for me too. It wears, but some people like it as it 'mellows' and/or it finds new uses. I think mine is still going strong and it's been at least 2 years, even if it's a lot slower now and has seen lots of work.

If you want a stone I have a new Shapton glass 220 or thereabouts which seems good and I like the JNS 300 though not nearly as fast as a young Atoma.

It can take decades to remove some of the deep scratches from a 140 diamond plate, so watch out.

10. 42" belt sander and mayonnaise jar with soapy water.