1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Long-ish term knife storage

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by gavination, Mar 5, 2014.

1. gavination

gavination Founding Member

So I'm getting ready to go to Hawaii for a clinical rotation, and sadly, I'm not bringing all my knives. Especially since I don't have a place to live lined up yet, but that's another story. Also, I don't trust the airline folks to not steal my knife roll out of my luggage.

So I'm wondering what you good folks have to say about storing carbon for three to four months. I've coated them in mineral oil and had the idea to wrap them in wax paper to seal them up a bit. Threw in some packs of dessicant as well. Is there anything in wax paper that makes this a bad idea? I would assume not since you put food on it... but you never know.

Additionally, anyone had good or bad experiences with checking your knife roll in your bag? Good meaning they didn't steal your ****. Bad meaning, bye bye knives. :( I've checked one or two knives like my trip to LA and checking out JKI, but never a knife roll.

Thanks in advance and be gentle for any general ignorant lack of knowledge and silly questions. :)

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

That sounds precautionary enough for me. But someone should be along soon to give you better advice. I hope you enjoy Hawaii, and good luck!

3. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

any thought of mailing the ones you want there to yourself if you can line up an address, can be insured and all.

4. gavination

gavination Founding Member

I thought about mailing them to myself, but it's only 11 weeks and I'm trying to bring as little as possible. And I'd rather spend shipping money on more knives. :)

5. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I traveled with my culinary school knives. Nothing worth much. My bag did get lost but it was found and everything was there. Blizzards in the midwest at Christmas time can make for fun times with airlines...

Anyways. I've only ever had a checked pocket knife go missing after having a bag searched... jerks.

Your storage sounds fine. Don't think I would do the wax paper but it shouldn't hurt.